Author Topic: Robert Christie, witness, in the Cotton Spinners Trial of 1838  (Read 465 times)

Offline jessiboo_17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Christie, witness, in the Cotton Spinners Trial of 1838
« on: Wednesday 15 August 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
In early January of 1838, in Glasgow, there was a trial put on for the murder of John Smith.  Robert Christie was a witness in the trial and gave his testimony which is preserved in books (I think for learning law?).  I have found just about every major article in every newspaper on the trial in Ireland, England, and Scotland.  I found a sketch of some of the people from the trial in one of those articles.

I am curious if there is some way to see if there are sketches from the trial itself of Robert Christie or the others in the trial.  I'm also curious if copies of the original trial can be obtained?

Robert Christie disappeared from Glasgow shortly after the trial.  His son Dr. John Christie ended up in bumpkin country no where in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada where he lived out his life until his death in the 1860's.  His reputation still is known about the local people of where he lived. 

Any help would be amazing. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Christie, witness, in the Cotton Spinners Trial of 1838
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
The story of Smith's murder in the Calton, Glasgow is told here, just scroll to the date,

www.glasgowhistory.co.uk/OrdsCalton.htm

Skoosh.