Author Topic: Help with baptism record please  (Read 1165 times)

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with baptism record please
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Am I reading this baptism entry right?

Lucy daughter of John Batley & Mary? his wife (Late/Kate? Mary Hubbard Spinster) was born May 12th? & baptized privately May 27th 1801

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with baptism record please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
I'm with you all the way, except:

the birth date looks like 22nd to me

wife's name doesn't look like Kate. 

I can see "-ary" with a rather squashed "M" at the front = "Mary".

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
There's a word written after Batley which I can't read (his occupation or abode?).
Then "& his wife late Mary Hubbard. Whether this meant simply that Hubbard was her maiden name  or that it meant Mary was dead I have no idea.
 As Mary Hubbbard was John Batley's  wife she cannot have been a spinster in the sense of unmarried, single woman. If spinster is the word on the next line, could it be John's occupation i.e. spinner. Occupations of married women were not stated in those days,  although many of them in Yorkshire and Lancashire would have been part-time spinners (spinsters).
What religious denomination were they? I wondered if 1st word on 2nd line was sponsor.

Are you sure that the 2nd line is a continuation of same baptism and not part of a seperate one with a bit misssing.
If it was C. of E. have you looked at Bishops' Transcripts to see what was written there?
Cowban

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 18 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Am I reading this baptism entry right?

Lucy daughter of John Batley & Mary? his wife (Late/Kate? Mary Hubbard Spinster) was born May 12th? & baptized privately May 27th 1801

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Magnifying it, In my opinion, it reads as follows:

Line 1: Lucy daughter of John Batley & Mary, his wife of late Mary Hubbard
Line 2: Penster was born May 12th, & baptized privately May 17th 1801

The writer has a tendency to curl the bottom of this ones, so it's not 100% sure of the days, however, compared to the "1" in "1801" it does seem most likely that these are proper. the "2" in the 12th seems to have the same structure as the ones, but seems to have a top line to it.

Penster is an uncommon last name, but also an occupation associated with being a writer. I don't think "spinster" would be an accurate label to put on a lady who had given birth, usually this is a semi-pejorative reference to an unmarried woman "past her prime" and would not be appropriate to call someones wife that to be sure.

My two cents.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 August 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
In the baptism of Charles Francis Batley in1806 it reads: Charles Francis son of John Batley and Mary his Wife (late Mary Hubbard) was born March 7th etc etc.  All the entries are in the same format so I don't think she's dead !

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
The Oxford Dictionary gives several meanings for late, including:

No longer having the specified status; former.

So maybe this was just the clerk's/writer's slightly offbeat way of saying it was her maiden name... ???

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Some baptism records record the wife's name in the form of 'formally xyz' or 'late xyz' and, if all entries on the page are in this form, I would think it just referred to the wife's maiden name.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
From Free Reg.
Baptisms, Wacton All Saints, Norfolk. Parents John and Mary Batley.
Lucy (1801), Sarah (1802), Rebecca(1804), Charles Francis (1806), Martha(1808), John 1809), Caroline(1811),  Elizabeth(1814), Elijah(1815).
Marriage. West Harling All Saints. 24 November 1795. John Battley/ Mary Hubbard

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Free Reg.
Baptisms, Garboldisham. William(1796), Mary(1798), Shadrach(1799). Same parents. Father John from Garboldisham.