Author Topic: German steamerboat - Vega  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
German steamerboat - Vega
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am from New Zealand. My ancestors were the passengers on board the boat the Vega that was sailed by Captain Nomens on the 22 May, 1873 from Hamburg Germany to London, England. At some stage during the voyage the boiler burst, leaving the passengers stranded for several days before being towed back to Hamburg.

I am inquiring as to whether any photos exist of the boat or any details to the number of passengers or further details pertaining to the boat itself.

Please find attachments. Any information or images would be kindly received.

thanking you kindly,

Ashley
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: German steamerboat - Vega
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Is it certain the vessel was named Vega?  The normal German spelling is Wega.
Your image is cut off, so we can't see how the name was entered on the passenger list.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
The vessel was the Wega as Wee Hugh says.  However, there is one newspaper report spelling it as Vega (with Capt Nomens) leaving London for Hamburg on 30 Apr/1 May 1873.  Wega with Capt Nomens comes up often shipping reports.
According to a later passenger list, it belonged to the Friedrich Georg Schmidt shipping line in 1879.  Some detail on her history here:
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/kirsten.shtml 
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Wee Hugh and MaxD. I believe you are both right - It was the Wega. I have attached a further cropped down version of the document.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
Odd that the name is mis-spelled but even the German authorities are allowed one mistake!

That document  shows there were at least 82 passengers, whether there were more depends on whether there were more pages.  Do you have the whole document?

This is the detail of the vessel, http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/W-Ships/wega1873.html

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
And "New Seeland" is also a strange mixture of languages!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
It is German Neu Seeland - nowadays written as one word.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have any more of the document. Thank you for the link - that information is very interesting.