Author Topic: Can't find record for a "Doreen McEnroe"  (Read 796 times)

Offline morganman33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't find record for a "Doreen McEnroe"
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi guys I hope you can help me here.

I am trying to find the mum of my grandmother who was born and then later adopted in 1945 in Plymouth. She was born with the name Beryl McEnroe and her mother is listed as being called "Doreen McEnroe".

The problem is that I can't find a record of anyone who would match this description in the UK, let alone someone near Plymouth. At this stage, most of my family feel that it was a made up name due to the stigma of giving up a child, which would be rather devastating, as any trail of finding out who my grandmother was would be gone. Being born in Plymouth in 1945, apparently my grandmother thought that her father was an American soldier during WW2, but I have no confirmation of this.
The only Doreen McEnroe I have found is someone who recently died in Texas, having been born in the UK, but it seems the dates don't align very well.

I would appreciate any insight from you guys, no matter how small

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find record for a "Doreen McEnroe"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
There is someone of that name in Scotland,but she was only born in 1943.

And a later marriage in the 1960's.

Possibly a family to check out?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Possible family Margaret E McEnroe married Alfred J Bradfield 1947 Totnes Devon, they had 2 children born 1951 & 1954. There was a Margaret McEnroe born 1920 Neath, Glamorganshire who would have been about the right age.
You could contact Social Services and ask to see the adoption papers, which could contain Beryl's original Birth Certificate before she was adopted.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
The Doreen M. McEnroe that died in Texas was born 1929 and she could be Beryl's mother so I wouldn't rule her out just yet.

You mentioned checking for her in the U.K. but possibly too recent for Ireland and Northern Ireland births (100 years and older online).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!