Author Topic: Welsh Calvinistic Methodist clergy records  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Edith reeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Calvinistic Methodist clergy records
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 August 18 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hmm - 1904 and what appears to be a houseful of goods is being sold at the property Bron Menai, opposite the pier.     :'( how sad!! I wonder why the entire household was being sold?! He did move into a much smaller house after Brown Menai, around the corner. It’s a gallery shop now. He is listed as a pier master in the next census, you’d think it would pay more than a toll taker.....unless it was more to do with him knocking around that big house by himself?

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3802069/3802071/19/

What I find odd is no newspaper items about his retirement or his wife's death - which I really would expect of someone who did have a high status in the community (school board member, poor law guardian etc)
yeah me too! It’s very strange. Unless something untoward had happened maybe? I’ll check for criminal proceedings...maybe worth a check? Thanks so much for all your help, I love a good mystery!! 
Lloyd/Foreman/Morris family research
Anglesey
Widnes
Manchester
Canada
Germany
Eastern Europe

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:50 BST (UK) »

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 August 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
There's an 1897 publication "COFIANT Y PARCH. THOMAS JONES O DDINBYCH", gan Y Parch. Jonathan Jones, Llanelwy".
It goes on"Gyda'r darluniau canlynol" and mentions "... Richard Lloyd, Beaumaris ..."

I suspect this is the Richard Lloyd, Beaumaris, died 1873 or before - but you may wish to check it out.

I've also had a look at "Welsh Journals on line" but yet to spot anything definite re. "your" Richard.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Hanes Teulu

The Richard Lloyd mentioned in the book died about 1830 something, before Richard Lloyd was born. There is indeed a photo of this Richard Lloyd : https://archive.org/stream/cofiantyparchtho00joneuoft#page/256/search/richard+lloyd

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 07:58 BST (UK) »
Sam,
Diolch yn fawr

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of articles in " Y Drych" columns 4 & 5 relating to his first couple of preaching engagements following Richard Lloyd's arrival in New York in 1896 on the "Britannic". In column 4 it states he was staying with his nephew Gabriel Lloyd.

In column 5 (under New Yoor & Vermont) he arrived in Utica from Holyhead on the Saturday evening and preached at Moriah & New Hartford on teh Sabboth. "He is a clear thinker and a fine speakerand an unassuming and pleasant gentleman. He will be speaking tonight (Tuesday)on the Sundau School and preaching again on the next Sabboth".

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3542853/3542858

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
Article written by W.R. Jones of Judson Minnesota in which a visit by Richard Lloyd is mentioned, probably as his visit to the area was drawing to a close. Two of Richard Lloyd's family members are mentioned.

17 Dec 1896 Y Drych
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3543033/3543035/11/parchedig%20lloyd%20caergybi

Glimpse of The Past
2nd paragraph
And another thing: When the Rev. Richard Lloyd of Caergybi was here on a visit, he and his 2 cousins, John and Gabriel Lloyd came to our abode to see us one afternoon, spending a happy afternoon. I was pleased to see that the Rev. R. Lloyd had reached such an honourable position and that he held it so well. Mr. Lloyd is a gentleman in every sense, and people this way, say that no one did better than him in the Mankato Cymanfa and other parts in these neighbourhoods. I knew Mr Lloyd’s family well about fifty years ago, on his father’s and mother’s side in Anglesey - “the Mother of Wales,” respectable and religious people , mostly from the class of smallholders and craftsmen. But it was to this that we were drawing closer to when Mr Lloyd was with us on the afternoon in question it went (amongst other things ? rhyddfathiad ? impromptu or off the cuff  mainly) into a conversation between us about the old days – when we started to live in Minnesota  - when we had no houses or any business or religious conveniences & etc of any great worth here. While recounting our troubles to the Rev. R. Lloyd, his cousin, John Lloyd, suddenly said “Why didn’t you put things like that in the chapter “Judson that you put in the book “The Old Settlers. ” It would be more interesting to me than anything in it”.................

There seemes to have been 2 Gabriel Lloyds, one was a nephew (mentioned previously) and this one a cousin ?

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3542745/3542749/58/parchedig%20lloyd%20caergybi

Says he has a brother Gabriel Lloyd in Utica New York and various other relations in Minnesota and other states.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
New York Newspapers - Fulton
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

I put "richard lloyd and holyhead" (including the "   ") in Search field and selected Boolean from drop down menu - returns 3 very brief items.