Author Topic: 78th Foot Queens regiment St Helena  (Read 255 times)

Offline marys girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
78th Foot Queens regiment St Helena
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Been searching for years for evidence of Benjamin Stark being in the St Helena Regiment and have found some documents relating to him. Could anyone tell me what 'out pension' is please? He is listed as being out pension of 6d on 24.06.1851, and it commenced on 16.07.1851. Unfortunately he is listed as deceased on 29.07.1851 but no reason give. His pension was paid, presumably to his widow until 17.07.1853.  I would love to know what the cause of his death was and how his family returned home as his wife was possibly pregnant at the time. Still one step at a time even if each step takes 10 years! Regards

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: 78th Foot Queens regiment St Helena
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
2 types of pensioners, in & out. In pensioners were housed at Chelsea Hospital as they are today.
Out pensioners received a pension but lived elsewhere.
Many reasons for discharge. He could have completed his term of service although that seems unlikely as he's only getting 6d.
Probably no longer fit for service.
I would love to know what the cause of his death was and how his family returned home
To find cause of death you will need his death cert.
As she was overseas with him indicates she was "on the strength" of the Regt. so she would have returned with him as part of the Regt. at the Regt's expense.
FindMyPast have 3 service records for a Benjamin Stark covering 1851 if you have a sub.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline marys girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 78th Foot Queens regiment St Helena
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information. I think they were still on St Helena at the time of his death, as they had a child born either 1851 or 1852. I looked into St Helena records a few years back but they only came up with a child Thomas born there and died and nothing for the rest of the children listed on censuses as having been born there. The family were back in Leeds by 1861 census. Now I have a date I will get back in touch with the archive over there. Otherwise I don't know where to look for his death certificate. But thanks for the help, much appreciated. anne