Author Topic: Same couple marry 1st Reg Off and then Church  (Read 1478 times)

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Same couple marry 1st Reg Off and then Church
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 August 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I love the sense of humour shown.
I was quite happy to think that they first married in the Reg Off (for whatever reason) and then, with the birth of their daughter Ellen, were "obliged" to marry "properly"

And then you throw in another marriage Jan 1881 to Annie Duffy. The personal facts of husband James are exactly the same as my James query. This Annie may have died 3mths after the marriage. But she was 18 at death, James would have been 60. The same Annie??

This family, James Flood, is certainly a mystery. Three marriages in the space of 2 years. Two to the same woman!!!!!!!

Jacqui

McAnee/McAneigh, McLaughlin, Carton/McCartney, McSorley, Ruxton, Weir/deVere, Flood, Lennon, Phibbs, Ormsby

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 August 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I love the sense of humour shown.
I was quite happy to think that they first married in the Reg Off (for whatever reason) and then, with the birth of their daughter Ellen, were "obliged" to marry "properly"

And then you throw in another marriage Jan 1881 to Annie Duffy. The personal facts of husband James are exactly the same as my James query. This Annie may have died 3mths after the marriage. But she was 18 at death, James would have been 60. The same Annie??

This family, James Flood, is certainly a mystery. Three marriages in the space of 2 years. Two to the same woman!!!!!!!

Jacqui

Only 3 found!!    ;D  ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Dont forget he was also a widower when marrying Annie Duffy

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Oh I have already discovered his previous marriage to an Ellen Richards in 1860.

So, that's four marriages.............
McAnee/McAneigh, McLaughlin, Carton/McCartney, McSorley, Ruxton, Weir/deVere, Flood, Lennon, Phibbs, Ormsby

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 August 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 August 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hmm
James Flood a widower married Anne Duffy Jan 1881
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/10991/8018718.pdf

Anne Flood age 18 married wife of a range setter (stonemason) died April 1881 informant Mary Duffy mother
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06441/4850642.pdf

Anne Duffy was "full age" at Jan 1881 marriage so over 21. Father of James Flood was Michael Flood "living", bricklayer.
Cause of death of Anne Flood looks like "Puerpal fever 18 days certified" which would mean she had given birth at least 18 days before her death. The prevous death registered was James Flood, a baby aged 24 days. Address was different to Anne's though. Informant was his sister, Agnes.

I suppose there were many women called Anne Duffy in Dublin at the time and more than 1 James Flood, bricklayer and a few Mick Floods with that occupation. Pity there's no 1881 or 1891 census to look at.
Cowban

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
I'd be inclined to think that they first married in the Reg Off (for whatever reason) and then, with the birth of their daughter Ellen, were "obliged" to marry "properly" too.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
I'd be inclined to think that they first married in the Reg Off (for whatever reason) and then, with the birth of their daughter Ellen, were "obliged" to marry "properly" too.

There's a similar thread on the go with a contribution from River Tyne Lass saying exactly the same  about her parents' 2 weddings. She had it from "the horse's mouth".
Cowban

Offline jacqui63m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 August 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Our ancestors have a lot to answer!!!!

Between legalities of the day, religious beliefs and, sadly, ignorance, unthreading the knots of the looks like, could bes, maybes, possiblities is an absolute nightmare.

But I'm getting there, slowly

Thank you everyone for the help, the humour and the insight

Jacqui