Author Topic: Hardie man of New Jeraey  (Read 339 times)

Offline jennifermulewski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hardie man of New Jeraey
« on: Friday 17 August 18 04:41 BST (UK) »
When was this picture taken?  The dark haired woman is Mary Hardie, born 1889 died 1943.  The man could be husband number one (born 1877 died 1929), husband number 2 (born 1882 died 1943) or her son (born 1915 died 1972).  When do you think this picture was taken?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hardie man of New Jeraey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
I would suggest 1940s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 18 19:57 BST (UK) »

Did some magnifying of the image. Here's some things I've noticed.

-Center bottle is production line version of a wine bottle with label. So, suggesting it's well past the end of prohibition in 1929.
-What looks to be an Asco or Sneiders ketchup bottle on the right. (thought it was an early clear  beer bottle, but you can see some sauce stuck to the inside of the upper portion of the bottle.
-Wine, sugar decanter & sauces and overall healthy appearance of those in the picture suggest well fed, so probably past the great depression which hit the east coast of the US especially hard.
-There seems to be a picture of someone in the back in a uniform saluting, so it could someone who was drafted off to WW2 or a relative from WW1, but this is a guess as even sharpened severely it's still very hard to make out.

I'd have to say late 30s, early 40s.

My two cents.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hardie man of New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Immediate feeling is 1940s but could be very late 1930s

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
If it helps, here's a slightly restored and focused photo.

I've noticed that on the mans forehead is a very pronounced mole. Perhaps that is something mentioned in documents or noticeable in other photos you may have.

I just like to do photo restores.