Author Topic: Registering death  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registering death
« on: Friday 17 August 18 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks to the help of another thread I've found the contents of a family grave. In it one Kathleen Kennedy 15A Hurst Gdns L13 age 3 days int 5/9/1953 is interred. (Ford T216)

The address hints that maybe this was out of wedlock or another family member not yet discovered?
Thing is, I can't find any record of BMD/GRO of either birth or death? The only one seems to be Bradford way which doesn't fit the profile of the family... Is there a search I'm missing and/ or where could I get more info to try and obtain the cert. relevant to finding out who this little lasses parents were?

Many thanks
M

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Registering death
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Are you saying that Kathleen Kennedy age 3 days is in your families grave and you don't know who she is  :-\

If that is your question it was common to bury young babies in a grave with an adult who was also being buried that day.  It saved money
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Both her birth and death registrations are on FreeBMD.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Rosie it’s good to have a bit of background as to what was common in the day, thank you. I don’t know this family member so she’s a bit of a surprise!

I must be rubbish at searching! I searched both bmd and gro for birth and death. Typed in first name / surname and covered the year 1953 and I got no results! I’ll go and take another look thank you for reassuring me that they are there though!!

Mx

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
While often a young baby (especially stillborns) would have been put in with an adult who died at a similar time it can also be worth looking a little wider in your own family.  I know I found two seemingly unrelated children in a family grave - they were actually the niece and nephew of my ancestor's husband (his sisters children so had completely unrelated surnames)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Both her birth and death registrations are on FreeBMD.

Hi Nanny jan - I must be going nuts. I can't find her at all! I can find 3 'possibles' but this little one would almost certainly be in Liverpool?

Silly Q - would the surname on the burial have to match the surname on the birth/death registrations? Same Q for the forenames?

Thank you everyone Mx

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
The registration in Bradford shows the surname of the mother to be Kennedy, which could fit with your possibility of an 'out of wedlock' birth with the mother moving away from her area for the birth.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 August 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, that was what I was thinking too... I'm not sure why Bradford of all places as I can't (yet) find any connection with the place but it's the closest out of the 3 'possibles' isn't it? Fact she only lived 3 days and was 'allowed' into the family plot ... I may take a punt on this one and order the Bradford birth cert. See if I get a match?  ???

Thanks Mx

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 August 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Could there be a connection or clue with the other baby in the grave. David Parkinson mmn Kennedy, 1957 same address as baby Kathleen. There's a relevant marriage in 1955. Seems unlikely that it would be a random burial with 2 babies both with same mmn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk