Author Topic: Oddity on electoral roll is puzzling me  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Oddity on electoral roll is puzzling me
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 August 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
I too have been one of the 'number takers' so derided by Ray, and I agree with what Nanny Jan and Roopat as to the reason.  We took the numbers so that we could see who had voted; people don't want to be reminded that it's polling day at 6pm if they went out to vote at 9am.  I am sad that the voluntary work of these people is treated with such disdain.  Regardless of the political party, these people are demonstrating their interest in democracy, and doing a very useful job, whether or not the returning officer (who is being handsomely rewarded financially) likes their presence outside the polling station.    I have sat on many occasions when people have handed me their polling cards when leaving the polling station, to indicate to me that they have voted for my party; and people who did not support my party would often give their cards to whoever was doing the job for the other party/parties.  But after they were gone, without fail we would give each other the polling numbers so that we could all keep our records straight.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 August 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Totally agree, GS. I've also done my stints ticking off names and  doing gentle reminder door knocking on those who'd not voted.

I found the officials and police at the door really friendly  and  asked us in to shelter in the porch/entrance hall  when it was wet/cold.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 August 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
Support from me too GS and G.
I haven’t taken the numbers but have done the door knocking too  :)

The number takers provided useful information.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 August 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
 Any chance Fred Bloggs and Mary Bloggs Jnr on electoral register were uncle & aunt to little Fred and Mary Bloggs? All women over 21 were eligible to vote by then.
Cowban

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 August 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
Any chance Fred Bloggs and Mary Bloggs Jnr on electoral register were uncle & aunt to little Fred and Mary Bloggs? All women over 21 were eligible to vote by then.

I was also thinking that it was 2 older generations that were referred to.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 August 18 06:49 BST (UK) »

Always a chance I suppose but I can't find any trace of relations with these names, no sign in the BMD indexes, census returns or even parish records.

Boo

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 August 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Are they fairly unusual names,or common ones?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 August 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
Not very unsusual but the combination of first and middle names narrows the choice down.
Having searched the electoral rolls. 1939 register and a 1938 directory I am reasonably certain that the Fred Bloggs and Mary Bloggs Junr were the children of the first two people listed and that one of the parents misunderstood and rather than enter the names in the house who were , or would be, over 21 within the next year, they just listed the entire family.

Boo