Author Topic: Spiers family living in Ipswich  (Read 1137 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spiers family living in Ipswich
« on: Friday 17 August 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Having found the other members of the Spiers family in cemeteries at Ipswich, Victoria and Lutwyche I am hoping someone can head me in the right direction to find the remaining children:

Ann Isabella Spiers 1856-1867  buried at Presbyterian Cemetery Brisbane- which cemetery is this likely to be.  She died in Fortitude Valley.
John Spiers 1866-1st July 1871 ?buried Ipswich Cemetery, no headstone is indicated or reference made to him being buried there
Annie Isabella Spiers 1869-1871 (died 2 days after her brother John) again no reference is made of burial in a cemetery.
Florence Agnes Spiers 1876-1876 likely Ipswich area

I am planning a day trip to the Ipswich area while on holiday in Australia so any help would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Spiers family living in Ipswich
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Blacksmithy

The Presbyterian cemetery could be part of what is now a larger cemetery, divided into denominations. I searched Trove and found a reference to the Presbyterian cemetery dated in the 1800s, but there was no reference to it's location. Perhaps you could email the Queensland State Library to see what information they hold about this cemetery.They have quite a good genealogy section.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
"The Ipswich General Cemetery is a historic cemetery in Ipswich, Queensland, Australia. It is the second oldest cemetery in Queensland. Wikipedia
Address: Cemetery Rd & Warwick Road, Ipswich QLD 4305
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Mon.
Phone: (07) 5464 3145"

So they are closed until Monday, if you would like i can give them a ring on Monday for you and see what they have on the names you have listed.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Good morning
thank you to both of you for your replies.
If you are able to phone them giblet, that would be greatly appreciated.  My family will have only so much tolerance walking a cemetery while on holiday!.  Other Spiers family members are in the Presbyterian B section(x4) and x2 in the Congregational, I am picking I should be able to find them relatively easily by doing a walking search.
I note the cemetery has a Presbyterian B and C but no A - perhaps they are buried in an unmarked grave in an earlier section of the cemetery.  Given John and Annie died 2 days apart I assume they would be buried close together (although family research has shown me I shouldn't assume!).  John was buried by a Presbyterian minister and Annie a CoE - maybe that was due to who was available.
Again many thanks for your help, I look forward to further information. :)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
I look forward to further information. :)

I will post as soon as i ring them.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:35 BST (UK) »

Ann Isabella Spiers 1856-1867  buried at Presbyterian Cemetery Brisbane- which cemetery is this likely to be.  She died in Fortitude Valley.
John Spiers 1866-1st July 1871 ?buried Ipswich Cemetery, no headstone is indicated or reference made to him being buried there
Annie Isabella Spiers 1869-1871 (died 2 days after her brother John) again no reference is made of burial in a cemetery.
Florence Agnes Spiers 1876-1876 likely Ipswich area

Do you have any of their death certs? Their certificates would indicate where they were buried such as the cemetery name etc. I think they are about $22 each so turns out a bit expensive to obtain each one. I had a look in Trove for death notices / funeral notices and as yet havent found one for the above.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
Several years ago I contacted the Ipswich ceme via email and received details of an ancestor's burial. This may be an option for you blacksmithy, if giblet finds it difficult to get through to the right person via phone (you know what it can be like sometimes?)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
I just found this on the Ipswich ceme site:

Cemetery search
Ipswich Cemeteries staff can provide assistance with the location and details of family burials.  A fee of $25.00 for up to six names applies.

:(

Perhaps this is a new 'feature' (as I did not pay for info)?  ::)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 August 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
I also did a long Trove search but came up with no death notice

I have the death record for:

John Spiers:  died and buried on 1 July at Ipswich by Rev James Paterson minister - Presbyterian. Parents are William Spiers (occ Porter) and Annie ms Welsh.  Died at Darling Street Ipswich after 2 days of croup, aged 4 years.  Born in Brisbane.  Undertakers name looks like George Dondew

Anne Isabella Spiers:  died 8 July 1871, buried at Ipswich  9 July by Rev James ?Crostly minister - CoE. Parents and address as for John.  Born Toowoomba.  Under taker as above.

Florence Agnes Spiers:  born and died 1876.  I have no further details on her but dates would suggest the family are in Ipswich and are living at either Darling St or Fifer Terrace.

Many thanks