Author Topic: James McEvoy RFA 681884  (Read 739 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: James McEvoy RFA 681884
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 August 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
At least 2 Batteries had 6 x 18 pounders & at least 1 Battery had 4 howitzers according to the diary.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Dilly01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
The information came from his granddaughter so probably direct from James himself. I wish I could add more with certainty.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 August 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
The temptation is simply to say that his service number indicates 286 Brigade (which may not be true) and accept that the war diaries of 286 Bde are relevant.  In the absence of solid evidence, you will have to take a view.  An approach is to say that IF he served in 286 Bde, then this (war diaries) would be what his war was like.
The top two diaries here are relevant and can be downloaded:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=286+brigade+field 
although only the top one covers time in France

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 August 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Found the man next to him. 681883 pre 1917 no. 4627 attested 4/11/15 so quite possible he went over in 1916 but not with the 286th. Maybe he was posted there in March 1916 rather than went overseas at that time.
All conjecture of course.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Dilly01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 August 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Having only recently discovered that my grandfather (Private 42187 Charles Edward Dillingham) was in the Essex Regiment and that the place he was wounded and left for dead 100 years ago, one week from today, might have been Achiet-le-Grand, I know what conjecture is all about!!

The crucial word above is "might" and only a contemporary letter and the events occurring at about the time his mother died make even this speculation possible! I am thankful to the passing stretcher party and the unknown hospital where he recovered from near fatal wounds for making my time possible!

What you have discovered is fantastic! Even the suggested Brigade will help the lady who approached me on the coach during a WWI Battlefields Tour to understand the possible events that HER grandfather took part in.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 August 18 17:13 BST (UK) »

You might have noticed from the dates of the first (in dates) diary that, quite untypically, it covers service in UK.  It finishes in Feb 1916.  There is then a gap until the overseas diary starts in Jan/Feb 1917.  The same gap exists for the higher level Commander Royal Artillery.  The Feb 1916 diaries for both give no clues as to what might have happened next (March 1916 - Dec 1916).  Similar puzzle for HQ 57 Div

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 August 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Purely out of interest did Grandad go into the 10/Essex after leaving the 7/Northants?
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Dilly01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
I do not know too much, but I have noted or been given the following from which I have eventually concluded that he was shot and left for dead in the period leading up to his mother's death on 29th September 1918. A cousin from Canada who was living with the family at the time knew that they were advised that he was MIA and that was followed the next day saying that he had been wounded. The most likely episode at that time was at Achiet-le-Grand on 23/24 August, I have not seen the wounded list and do not know where he recovered from his wounds, but the family visited him shortly after his mother's funeral.

Medal card of Dillingham, C E
Corps: Northamptonshire Regiment
Regiment No: 47482

Corps Regiment No Rank
Northamptonshire Regiment 47482 Private
Essex Regiment 42187 Private

Name: C E Dillingham
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: Essex Regiment
Regimental Number: 42187
Previous Units: 47482 7/Northn. R. Pte

Posted on a forum in response to a question I posed.
"The Draft of men to which 47482 C E Dillngham (who I believe to be Charles Edward Dillingham) of the Northamptonshire Regiment belonged was partly formed from men of the 46th Training Reserve Battalion - which was formerly the 13th (Reserve) Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment until 1st September 1916 when the battalion converted to a Training Reserve battalion. Prior to 1st September 1916, they would have worn the Worcesters badge, hence the picture.

The Draft of men transferred from the 46th T.R. Battalion to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment on 22-10-1917, receiving their new numbers at that point (including 47482 C E Dillingham). A smaller group of these men then embarked to France on 17-12-1917, arriving at No. 17 Infantry Base Depot later on the 17-12-1917 whence they were posted to the 7th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment dated 19-12-1917. They never actually joined the 7th Northamptons at the Front, instead being diverted to the 1st Battalion of the Essex Regiment, receiving new numbers (Charles Dillingham being numbered 42187) as of 23-12-1917."

Another user posted that Pte Dillingham was reported wounded in the War Office List of 18 October 1918 so was probably wounded some time in September 1918

1st Essex and the push for Cambrai 1918
In August 1918 the Germans were in retreat but provided stiff resistance.

On 23 August 1918 the 1st Essex were part of the forces committed to attack the German line near to the village of Achiet le Grand and take the strategic Arras-Amiens railway line at which the Germans had developed stung defences with machine guns every twenty yards. (DJW Note - Achiet-le-Grand - the village was occupied by the 45th and 49th Casualty Clearing Stations. Achiet station was an allied railhead.)

The day proved to be one of the hottest of the year and at 11.08 the advance began.

2nd Lieut and the majority of his 20 men were killed when their attack was stalled. Captain Mathieson requested a tank and on it's arrival the advance again went forward with 2nd Lieutenants Butler, Silver and Moss to the fore and were in possession of the railway line by 2pm after the defences were outflanked at which point 60 Germans surrendered with eleven machine guns.

The Essex were in the vanguard of the attack and halted at the trenches by the railway line as there were no British troops to their left which left them exposed to counter attack.

By 7.30 the rest of the line had caught up with the Essex men and the advance continued with Essex taking up a reserve role.

Within 5 days the sector had been consolidated. Over 1000 prisoners plus a large quantity of military equipment had been captured and the way to Bapaume was open.

1st Essex had 3 officers and 78 other ranks killed with 10 officers and 197 other ranks wounded with 8 men.

Officers killed were 2nd Lieutenants  H J Whitcombe, E J Brand, and S J Wright with Captains L J Miles and W H Macauley, Lieutenant C H Campling missing, 2nd Lieutenants H Fairbank, A J Pearson, A L Bryant, E P Bugg, L H M Wilcox, J E Barrett and SD Macloughlin.

After a new draft of 248 men the battalion continued to advance reaching Lebucquiere by 2 September 1918.

Lt Colonel Sanders was promoted to Brig General and relinquished command to Major T J E Blake from the 13th Royal Fusiliers.

The battalion was given the task of clearing Havringcourt Wood.

Z Company under Captain W D Mathieson captured some German trenches and then Corporal Wells led a bombing party which captured 5 more Germans and a machine gun to prevent another obstacle to the advance.

During the advance near Havringcourt Lieutenant Young from the 1st Herts battalion who were advancing next to the Essex was awarded a VC for his actions and Lance Corporal Robinson was captured by The Germans but managed to escape and made his way back through the lines during an artillery barrage.

By the end of September 1918 the 1st Essex were taken back into reserve by which time they had taken 38 more casualties including 5 men killed.

On October 5th the advance began on Cambrai with 1st Essex in reserve but they joined in the attack on 7th October 1918 situated on the left of the Brigade line.

Considerable resistance was forthcoming from positions at Bel-aisle farm although X company managed to clear the farm taking over 80 prisoners.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
Sounds pretty conclusive.
You can get an idea of the route he took through the medical chain by looking at the Divisional RAMC diary.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.