Author Topic: William Anthony Hails 1766-1845  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Anthony Hails 1766-1845
« on: Friday 17 August 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone can help me find a connection to William Anthony Hails 1766-1845, who was a well known writer and schoolmaster in Newcastle,  and the Glover family.
My great x 4 grandfather Joseph Imison's sister Mary (1811-1888) married Joseph Glover (1806-1877). They had two sons  William Hails Glover (1842-1902)and Joseph Imison Glover (1848-1915 a chemist). Mary is the only sibling of my G x 4 that had surviving children and I am trying to trace her line.
Joseph Glover's father 1768-1848 and William Anthony Hails 1766-1845  both appear on the 1841 census living at Blenheim Street, Westgate, Newcastle. Also living there are Joseph's daughters Susannah and Isabella and grandaughter Margaret Gosman. In 1861, long after the death of his grandfather and William Anthony Hails, William Hails Glover is boarding at the same address - 115 Blenheim Street and woking as a Chemical Works Clerk.
William Anthony is recorded as just William Hails schoolmaster but his death announcement confirms that he was indeed William Anthony Hails and died at  Blenheim Street. I have also found another Anthony Hails Glover  born 1833 Leeds who may also be connected.
I can't find anything more for William Hails Glover but Joseph Imison Glover married Mary Morallee Youll and had 3 sons - Joseph Harold Glover, William Stanley Glover and Tom Norman Glover. I am struggling to find anythingfor Tom Norman. Joseph Harold had two daughters Winefred Mary Glover and Kathleen Ridley Glover who both died spinsters. William Stanley Glover went to Canada, married Annie Edith Brooks, and had as far as I know only one son - Stanley Brooks Glover 1908-1963 who I have discovered was  an Olympic medalist. He  won a Bronze medal for Canada at the Amsterdam Olympics in 1928. He died in Saskatoon. He would be my 3rd cousin 2 x removed. He had 5 children so it is possible that there are living relatives out there somewhere I have births 1940 and 1942.
William Anthony Hails was born 24th May 1766 and baptised on 29th July 1766 to father William Hails a Shipwright and and Mary Elsdon. Apparetly he didn't attend school until the age of 11 due to an accident. He only appears on this census and I can't find much else to link him to the Glovers.
Hoping someone can help.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: William Anthony Hails 1766-1845
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
I am having difficulty seeing the wood for the tree's on your post,so much going on
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
26th June 1842
St Andrews church Newcastle Upon TyneMr John Green,cork cutter  marriage to Margaret Gosmond,grandaughter of Mr Joseph Glover,cabinet maker of Blenheim St
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
In Blenheim St on the 5th Feb 1843
aged 75 Susannah ,wife of Joseph Glover

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
In Blenheim Street in the house of his daughter Isabella
on the 17th October 1846
aged 77 years
Joseph Glover cabinet maker and formerly auctioneer ,universally respected

at Blenheim St,on the 11th May 1881,Isabella Glover so she never married

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
Is the only reason you think there is a connection is that Joseph Glover and William Hails are living next door to one another in 1841 Census?

They may have just been friends and that is why the name Hails as been used as a second christian name.
This has happened in my Tree.

WM ANTHONY Hails married Mary WILDE 17 February 1795 Gateshead, Durham
I cant see any connection but someone else may.

Was Joseph Glover Wife Susanna RIDLEY?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Is the only reason you think there is a connection is that Joseph Glover and William Hails are living next door to one another in 1841 Census?

or is it because of William Hails Glover (bn1842)'s middle name?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
If Mary Imison & Joseph Glover have named a child William Hails Glover and this is the reason you think they are related to William Anthony Hails then you need to be tracing their families backwards rather than confusing us with details of their children
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
William Anthony Hails after finishing his apprenticeship moved to South Shields apparently,  he married in Gateshead 17th Feb 1795 to Mary Wilde