Author Topic: Felix Franz Alfred Ogilvie  (Read 635 times)

Offline RW1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Felix Franz Alfred Ogilvie
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hello
Felix Franz Alfred Ogilvie, born about 1874 and a German citizen, was tried at the Old Bailey in 1911 on charges of bigamy and fraud and sentenced to a total of 21 years, sentences to run concurrently (longest 10 years).  At first in Wandsworth, at some point he moved to Portland Prison, from where he was discharged on licence 2½ years early on 30 August 1918 with the note "To be interned", presumably as he was German and WW1 was still on.
I have managed to find a lot on his enlistment in the US Cavalry, 3 (at least) marriages, Times articles on the trial, etc, but cannot find anything after 1918.  The National Archives site redirects me to findmypast for information on internees, but nothing comes up for him there.
I understand that not many records exist from WW1 for internees, and as Felix was always reinventing himself (he married as Francis Fraser Ogilvie and Charles Ellister Bradley) I wonder if his post-1918 life will remain a mystery.
I should be really grateful to hear from anyone who may know something or may even be related to him or know of him, although at the time of his trial in 1911 I don't think any of his marriages had produced his own children.
Many thanks indeed.
Richard.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Felix Franz Alfred Ogilvie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
For context, could you give details (date, place, spouse) relating to his known marriages?  If he had a wife in 1918, was she also interned (having acquired his German citizenship on marriage)?

The 1909 St Albans marriage of Francis Frazer Ogilvie to (it appears) Maud Ethel S Jeeves - is this him?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
I see, from the Old Bailey proceedings, that his offences included:

Feloniously marrying Maud Ethel Sara Jeeves, his former wife being then alive
Feloniously marrying Ellen Maria Caspers, his former wife being then alive

The second bigamous bride was in fact Eleanor M Caspers (Mar qtr 1911 Marylebone, to Charles E Bradley) - she appears to have been Australian.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
First (and only lawful) said to be widow Ann W Couth (with two children from her earlier marriage) - married 3 July 1905 in San Francisco.  Some of the newspaper reports say she attended the 1911 Old Bailey trial.

I am sure you already have all of this, but it helps us if we have some understanding of the chronology.

Offline RW1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello.
Yes, I could give you reams, it's knowing what's helpful!
You're right -
Wife 1 - as Francis F Ogilvie on 3 July 1905 in San Francisco he married Anne Couth, a widow born Anne Wyness in Scotland and died in Texas in 1946.  During the trial Ogilvie refers to her as his first wife and tells her she should think of the husband to her and the father to her children he was and what he did for them!  She did attend the trial according to the newspapers.
Wife 2 - as Francis Fraser Ogilvie (mis-transcribed as Frazer on freebmd) on 29 January 1909 in St Albans, England he married Maude Ethel Sara Jeeves.  She never married again and maintained the name Ogilvie and, on the 1939 register, refers to herself as a "widow".  She died on 31 December 1944 in Kingston County Hospital, Surrey.
Wife 3 - as Charles Ellister Bradley on 7 January 1911 in Marylebone, England he married Eleanor Maria (Ella) Caspars (wrongly recorded as Caspers).  He claimed at one point that she was the woman he loved and his other marriages, being non-Catholic, were invalid.  Ella was an Australian opera singer, who returned to Australia and married again.
I don't know if that helps, but I don't think any his "wives" were involved with him after 1918.
Many thanks for your interest.