Author Topic: Margaret McGlynn (c1870s-1890s?)  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McGlynn (c1870s-1890s?)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
I thought all birth, marriages and deaths had to be registered in the statutory registers, or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks again for your help!

'Had to be' and 'were' are sadly miles apart.
When the pariah registers on NLI site were filmed back in the 50s they did them because so many BMD were never registered, they stopped at c1880 as they though registering BMD should be fully complied with by that, sadly it's proving otherwise.

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McGlynn (c1870s-1890s?)
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:17 BST (UK) »

No you are correct, but in actuality that simply didn't happen in many instances, I remember reading a piece estimating that up to 15% of Irish BDMs weren't registered in the first couple of decades after 1864, from my own experience I know that registration was far from absolute right through to the early 1900s.

'Had to be' and 'were' are sadly miles apart.
When the pariah registers on NLI site were filmed back in the 50s they did them because so many BMD were never registered, they stopped at c1880 as they though registering BMD should be fully complied with by that, sadly it's proving otherwise.

Thanks both - that's very helpful. Explains why I am struggling to find some Irish records. It makes sense of course, I am not sure what/who I thought would enforce the registration during that period.

I'll keep that in mind for future searches.  :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.