Author Topic: George and William Niblack/Niblock/Niblick  (Read 15245 times)

Offline Aminta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George and William Niblack/Niblock/Niblick
« on: Wednesday 10 August 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
William Niblack immigrated to Pennsylvania in the 1700's and migrated down to Rowan County, North Carolina.  His tombstone says he was born in Clackmannan. 

He raised a large family and most of them moved down to Kentucky and on to Florida.  However, one relative did not. 

Her name was Rhoda Niblick (she did not spell it the same way) and she moved across the river to Abbeville, South Carolina where she married James Craig.  We know she was not William's daughter because she and James had a son named John who married Elizabeth Andrews, the daughter of Martha Niblock who WAS William's daughter. 

In an old letter, a granddaughter stated that Martha and Rhoda were cousins.

Some researchers believe she was the daughter of William's son George.  However, a little arithmetic with her children's ages proves she was too old to be his daughter - more likely his cousin.  Some believe she was the daughter of a brother of William's - possibly named George - who also came from Clackmannan.

Has anybody ever found a Niblack/Niblock/Niblick in the 1700's or before that in Clackmannanshire?

Many, many people would love the answer to this.  Since I am afraid to fly, I can never go there myself.  I have heard stories of people traveling there and finding the name in phone books.  Of course these people never wrote the names down or tried to contact the people. ::)
Creswick, Borland, Johnston/Johnson, Craig, Ellington, Seuell, Brooks, Stitt, McFadden, Howatt, Staniforth, Bagshaw, Scargill, Ross, Leyden, Gray, Cochran, Gowdy, Holland, West, Russell, Anderson, Scott

Offline cnc1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George and William Niblack/Niblock/Niblick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I do not have the information you were looking for, but I know a family of Niblocks, in Salisbury,  Rowan, County, NC, that would be interested in knowing if there is a connection.

The only reason I came across this is because I am one of the Rock Hill Craigs, and may be kin to the Niblock/Craig family you mentioned.

An aunt told me that she went to a cemetery near Cleveland, NC. Don't know the church's name, but it is something to do with Third Creek.

She says all the information is listed upon one stone. She mentioned a William, George and Levi Niblock. This particular stone does not mention where William was born in Scotland.

If there is a connection, maybe we can help you find the information you are seeking. Best regards, Christine Craig

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 07 19:36 BST (UK) »
hi,

it seems that there is plenty of transcription submitted on the igi's for oor wullie nisblack.

nae sign of a rhoda?

big belated welcome to rootschat, christine.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 07 20:05 BST (UK) »
Just a little aside, while I think about your question.

There is an ancient Scottish Golf Club called a "Niblick".

Offline cnc1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the kind welcome. Haven't been back here in while. I'll try to ask around more for about Rhoda. Too bad you weren't looking for Craigs, as I have our family book.

BTW---I know that names sometimes had to do with someone's profession, or such. Craig came from Crag, etc...Do you know what Niblock/Niblick means? Christine

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 12:21 BST (UK) »
hi christine,

looks like the niblick family could cause all sorts of misunderstandings, as all the stuff on www.familysearch.org has been submitted by researchers, i think we need some one who stays in clackmannanshire to help on this one.

according to igi's

james craig was born c1745 in abberville south carolina, as was rhoda niblock.

the couple seem to have married in abberville in 1771.

craig children from marriage:

john-c1772
rhoda-c1778
james-5/3/1780
samuel-25/9/1783

the craig children belong to the usa boards.

regarding rhoda, the submitters say that she was the daughter of george, who was the son of william and elizabeth todd. george married frances morrison.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Aminta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 08 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Looks like the message boards got a bit confused.  The NIBLACK_L group has tossed around Rhoda Niblick Craig's origins with no success.  George Niblock of NC was just a guess.  At present, we are leaning toward Samuel Niblack and Agnes Aiken of New Jersey who died in NC according to the internet.  They had a daughter named Letitia who married a William Craig...quite a coincidence and we wonder if our James might have been a brother or cousin to this William.

We do NOT know when or where Rhoda and James were born or married. James applied for and received land in Long Cane in 1771, so the guess is that he was then 21 and then got married.

James' pension papers stated he died at 1 AM o 1 Feb 1781 - which means possibly at Cowan's Ford, Mecklenburg, NC.

Possibly his father was the John Craig who signed Rhoda's application for James's pension.  His wife appears to have been named Ann, since a grave for an Ann Craig has been found near Long Cane.  It is unknown where John moved after his wife died.

Rhoda moved to Arkansas with her daughter Rhoda Niblick Craig Crawford.  We do not know when she died.

We ASSUME all the four Craig children were born in Long Cane, Abbeville District, SC. 

There are a slew of Niblick/Craig researchers out there, so things can get confusing. The worst part is that the old stuff never goes away from the internet so it messes with the new stuff.

I assume you mean Marion Stark Craig's book.  It was a private edition and I do not have a copy, but Marion did write to me years ago and I have information from it and the map showing James' land in Long Cane.

There is also a Niblack book by Ellen Frew.  After much consideration, Ellen just decided to include Rhoda as a relative and not actually attach her to George.
Creswick, Borland, Johnston/Johnson, Craig, Ellington, Seuell, Brooks, Stitt, McFadden, Howatt, Staniforth, Bagshaw, Scargill, Ross, Leyden, Gray, Cochran, Gowdy, Holland, West, Russell, Anderson, Scott

Offline Bryon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 14:00 GMT (UK) »
We do NOT know when or where Rhoda and James were born or married. James applied for and received land in Long Cane in 1771, so the guess is that he was then 21 and then got married.

I am a direct descendant of James and Rhoda Craig. It was my understanding, from correspondence with Marion Stark Craig after the publication of his book, that James was possibly born in County Monaghan, Ireland.

I have also noted in this discussion thread that James and Rhoda (Niblock/Niblick) Craig were born in South Carolina. The county is named as Abberville, but is more correctly spelled Abbeville. This is the location of the 200 acre land grant to James from King George III, and his residence from 1771 until his death on Feb. 01, 1781.

Any supporting information to establish the origins of James Craig would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 December 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Niblock is absent from Black's, Scottish Surnames but I used to know a Niblock, his folk came from Whithorn in Galloway.

Skoosh.