Author Topic: George and William Niblack/Niblock/Niblick  (Read 15259 times)

Offline chcraigsc

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George and William Niblack/Niblock/Niblick
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
In regards Bryon's 2013 post and the gist of this longer blog, I too am attempting to connect the James Craig apparently born 1745 (same year as Rhoda Niblick/Niblock?) further back, possibly to Glasgow, where I find a James Craig and a Margaret Stark with children John (b.1717), assumed to be named after his grandfather, Christin(e) (1719), Andrew (1721), James (1723), and Ninian (1725); Ninian is my ancestor, via his second son John (first son James; third son Robert), born Belfast 1761.  James (1723) appears to have married Marion Nairn, thus their first-born son would have been James, as well.  Dr. Marion Stark Craig's writings indicate Rhoda's husband's (James') father was also a James.  Given that Dr. Craig's father (MSC, Sr., also an M.D.) was the son of Andrew, might it be possible that the "Stark" and "Marion" names reflect their heritage, i.e., that the male-female name "Marion" and the "Stark" names were purposely handed down by James/Rhoda via their son John, his son John Lewis, then to Andrew and his son Dr. MSC Senior?  I have just ordered Y-DNA testing on a known direct male descendant of James and Rhoda; we will soon see if his Y-DNA matches mine!  As to Christine Craig in Rock Hill (York County, South Carolina), Ninian Craig and his three sons first came there in 1773 but then moved to the Abbeville area; if Rhoda's James was indeed Ninian's nephew, it makes sense for him to have moved there after her husband was killed in 1781, especially since his (Ninian's) home in the York area was invaded by Loyalist (Tory) ruffians circa 1781, who according to his son John took "everything he owned, including the hat off his head".  Their minister, Rev. Wm. Martin, Covenanter Presbyterian, who Ninian and sons followed from County Antrim after he accepted a post at Catholic Presbyterian (near York, SC), also preached in Long Cane (Abbeville) until a regular Presbyterian minister was found for the Covenanters then living there.

A question: How did James Craig 1745-1781 qualify for a 200 acre land grant when those were meant to be 100 acres for the head of household and 50 acres each for other members of the household?  Did Rhoda come "with child" from a former relationship?  Reading long-ago tea leaves is such a difficult undertaking!

Offline Bryon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George and William Niblack/Niblock/Niblick
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 October 22 15:58 BST (UK) »
I am uncertain how the 200 acres were granted. I do have a copy of the land grant to confirm, as well as the legal description of the property at that time.

This is an older post, so hopefully this gives it a little revival.

Bryon