Author Topic: Tosh family from Dundee and Forfar  (Read 7166 times)

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tosh family from Dundee and Forfar
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, i have started this thread to see if anyone here is related to the Tosh family from Dundee, Forfar and from other towns that are close by.  Also if anyone is researching the Tosh family they will find this thread and add to it.

Great great grandfather was John Tosh born 2 June 1862 in the parish Lethnot and Navar in county Forfar. He married  Annie Anderson Hay (Glamis 1867-1956) in 1885.

They had 9 children Annie Baillie Tosh, Charles Tosh, William Anderson Tosh, Isabella Tosh,Margaret Tosh, John Tosh,Alexander Tosh, David Tosh and Andrew Tosh.

Charles Tosh (1891-1979) is my great grandfather he married Mary Beattie, Mary was born in the parsh of Kettins Co. Forfar in 1892.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tosh family from Dundee and Forfar
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
Also if anyone is researching the Tosh family they will find this thread and add to it.

Have you checked the Surname Interests Board - the link can be found at the bottom of this page under Tools
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Who were John's parents? If you have a copy of his birth or marriage certificate you must know that. If you don't, your first move should be to get a copy of his marriage certificate from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have Alexander Tosh (1835-1918), parents David Tosh and Mary Whamond, who married my relative Mary Elmslie Scott in 1868. David was born in Tannadice around 1795. I have not researched him further as he isn't related to me.

Also Ann Tosh (1779-8 December 1858), daughter of David Tosh and Sarah Milne, who married my relative John Stewart in Lethnot and Navar in 1808. Again, I haven't researched her father David Tosh, as he is not related to me.

Also Robert Campbell Tosh, whose illegitimate daughter by Elizabeth Campbell was born in St Vigeans in 1870.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
I have Alexander Tosh (1835-1918), parents David Tosh and Mary Whamond, who married my relative Mary Elmslie Scott in 1868. David was born in Tannadice around 1795. I have not researched him further as he isn't related to me.

Also Ann Tosh (1779-8 December 1858), daughter of David Tosh and Sarah Milne, who married my relative John Stewart in Lethnot and Navar in 1808. Again, I haven't researched her father David Tosh, as he is not related to me.

Also Robert Campbell Tosh, whose illegitimate daughter by Elizabeth Campbell was born in St Vigeans in 1870.

The parents of my great great grandfather John Tosh are George Tosh and Isabella Addision.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
I'll try and get Georges parents and were he was born.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
I see that George Tosh and Isabella Addison were married in Marykirk in 1861. The marriage certificate will tell you the names of both sets of parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

They had at least six of a family
John, 2 June 1862, Lethnot and Navar
Margery Stewart, 8 February 1864, Oathlaw
Betsy Kennedy, 19 October 1865, Menmuir
Christina, 27 November 1867, Forfar
George, 7 March 1870, Inverarity and Meathie
Mary Ann, 26 May 1872, Murroes

In the 1871 census they were in the parish of Inverarity (except Mary Ann of course). The original of this census, also on Scotland's People, will tell you where George was born.

Barring creative spellings of the surname, there don't seem to be any Toshes in any census in Lethnot and Navar.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
I see that George Tosh and Isabella Addison were married in Marykirk in 1861. The marriage certificate will tell you the names of both sets of parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

They had at least six of a family
John, 2 June 1862, Lethnot and Navar
Margery Stewart, 8 February 1864, Oathlaw
Betsy Kennedy, 19 October 1865, Menmuir
Christina, 27 November 1867, Forfar
George, 7 March 1870, Inverarity and Meathie
Mary Ann, 26 May 1872, Murroes

In the 1871 census they were in the parish of Inverarity (except Mary Ann of course). The original of this census, also on Scotland's People, will tell you where George was born.

Barring creative spellings of the surname, there don't seem to be any Toshes in any census in Lethnot and Navar.

Thanks very much for that information i didn't know the other childrens names.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
George Tosh died in 1913 age 78, wife Isabella Addison. Parents Charles Tosh Emily Aikenhead.