Author Topic: Jules F Anseline, Mauritius, gold & slaves  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jules F Anseline, Mauritius, gold & slaves
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 05:44 BST (UK) »
Dear JM,
I checked with the Archivist from Bathurst Catholic Archives who was able to provide me with a photo of the original entry for Jules and Mary in the Carcoar Marriage Register.
However, the parents were not mentioned.
The only additional information in the handwritten document was that they were married in '...private house...' and that he was born '...in France...'
So, I assume that the Minister was doing his rounds of the various gold-mining settlements and, when he got back to the Rectory (? a couple of weeks later), he filled out the Registry for memory or from rough notes (probably the reason he put down Jules' birthplace as France)....
 :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 05:58 BST (UK) »
Dear JM,
I checked with the Archivist from Bathurst Catholic Archives who was able to provide me with a photo of the original entry for Jules and Mary in the Carcoar Marriage Register.
However, the parents were not mentioned.
The only additional information in the handwritten document was that they were married in '...private house...' and that he was born '...in France...'
So, I assume that the Minister was doing his rounds of the various gold-mining settlements and, when he got back to the Rectory (? a couple of weeks later), he filled out the Registry for memory or from rough notes (probably the reason he put down Jules' birthplace as France)....
 :)

I am still wondering ... on the image you have received, how are the signatures of the bride and groom recorded ... are they in same hand writing as the rest of the document, or are they possibly the actual signatures...   If they are in same hand writing, likely they are, as you say, the  summary record that was required to be transmitted through to the diocese and to the NSW bdm.   But if they are their actual signatures then likely there's nowhere else to search of the  info given first hand by Jules about himself and his parents when he married.     

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 06:42 BST (UK) »
On the document, where it says 'This Marriage was solemnised between us...', the two names, Jules Anseline and Mary Morris appear to have been handwritten by the same person. In fact, the rest of the handwriting is consistent with the same individual.....

The Minister couldn't remember "Ile de France"....he only recalled "..France..." :D

Many thanks for those links for Mauritius... will check them out. :D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
Yes,  :)   so there's still the chance that the original register that they signed has not yet been located by those at Bathurst....   :)  It is actually church law that those registers are never deliberately destroyed...  I will pull thinking cap down harder ...

ADD, the info on the image from Bathurst should actually give you confidence that when the original register is found that it will have all the info you seek.    :)  Jules likely was truthful.   :)

JM

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Is it worth my while to give the Bathurst Archivist a call to see if a further search might bring up something?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
 :)  :)  :)

Don't phone,  best to write - snail or email ...  :)

http://www.bathurst.catholic.org.au/?i=74&diocesan-archives

The Diocese policy statement:

file:///C:/Users/Bill/Downloads/ATTENTION%20ALL%20FAMILY%20RESEARCHERS.pdf 

email enquiry often works best, and I notice there's a fee mentioned.

JM.

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 05:18 BST (UK) »
I wrote to the Archivist at Bathurst who confirmed he had not seen a document with their signatures but promised to definitely keep an eye out for it as he goes about his work.... :(

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 August 18 06:01 BST (UK) »
Dear JM,
Two things:

1) A propos of your post about Forbes being the repository for a possible 1873 (Parkes) birth (?baptismal) document on Everest, would it be worth my while contacting the Catholic Church (or Courthouse) there to see what they have or should I wait to see what your elderly rellie suggests?

2) Regarding Jules, the Archivist I wrote to subsequently found, by chance, Baptismal records for 3 of his other children (they were all baptised at Frenchmans Reef the day before the Marriage!!) and he has forwarded me a photo of the relevant page from the registry book :D. For this I was very grateful, especially as he did this as a courtesy. However, I take your point that, for a formal, detailed investigation otherwise, that there is mention, on the website, of a fee.  As per your other 'Jules' post (about the possibility of the original document still being in existence, 21/8/18), has there been any success from 'pulling the thinking cap down harder'?!! :D
P.