Author Topic: Help me find Jane's daughter  (Read 2892 times)

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help me find Jane's daughter
« on: Sunday 19 August 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
This is a request following on from another thread about Jane Anderson.

Jane Anderson (1823 - 1867) married John Gillespie (1827 - 1894). John was her third husband and when she married him, in 1855, she already had a daughter, Jane Christina Anderson Taylor, born in Scotland 28 July 1847.

John and Jane Anderson had other children, two of whom survived; Peter Gillespie and Jane Isabella Gillespie. I can find plenty of information on these two children (they are my family so it has been easy) but nothing about Jane Christina Anderson Taylor until she marries James Henry Dickinson in Castlemaine in October 1876. From that point her own family is available on Ancestry.

Jane Christina would have been about 20 years old when her mother died.

Jane Christina inherits nothing from the Gillespie side of the family but does inherit from her uncle Caleb Anderson.

My questions are;
What generally happened to children of previous marriages? Did they stay with the mothers new family or were they sent to other family members?

Given the Scottish naming protocol, and the fact that both John and Janes mothers were called Jane, would it be normal for both daughters to be called Jane? The second daughter Jane was known as Isabella but Jane Christina was known as Jane as well as Jeannie and Jenny.

More importantly can anyone point me in another direction to find more information to fill in the gaps?

Regards, Liz

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find Jane's daughter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

So Jane's daughter was 20 when her mum died in 1867,  Do you know if this daughter migrated on same voyage as her mum?

Re same names for several children...  One of my ancestors was John.  His first wife was Mary, and their first child was Eliza.   Mary died, John remarried, the second wife's name was Eliza.  John and Eliza had a daughter, and they named her Eliza.   John's first daughter was raised by her step mum.  So, in the household of John, there were three with given name Eliza, and each had John's surname too.  .... It was SMITH ... this in NSW in the 1870s.   Can you imagine if John wanted to shout out to one of them .... all three may have come running ... or perhaps all three ignored him  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
Do you have the family's immigration record?

Have you located Jane Christina and other family on the Scottish censuses? Depending on when she emigrated she may be on the 51, 61 and 71.

I've heard of children being given the same name as a living sibling.

Regarding what happened to children of previous marriages ... there could be any number of scenarios - maybe the child stayed with mother and her second family, sometimes they went to grandparents or other relatives .... perhaps even sent to the workhouse, or off to school, depending on circumstances. Unless you can find some documentation it is impossible to guess.

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick replies.

Sorry, I should have provided more information. Yes Jane Christina migrated with Jane and her father James Taylor. Her father died here and Jane Anderson married again, that husband died very soon after that and she then married John Gillespie in country Victoria.

Interesting having a number of people in the same house with the same name. I can't imagine that.

I have letters written by Peter Gillespie and his family, and whilst he mentions his sister Isabella he never mentions Jane Christina.

I just thought I would have found something in the paper when Jane (Anderson, Taylor, McKay) Gillespie died but there is no acknowledgement from her first daughter.

Thank you again, Liz

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:23 BST (UK) »

Can you please name the three marriages of Jane...nee.......Anderson?

John GILLESPIE is the third husband?   Children to this couple have Jane ANDERSON mother?

BDM VIC marriage
1855 / 612 GILLESPIE John   m.  ANDERSON  Jane   

BDM VIC death
1867 / 3982 GILLESPIE   Jane   parents Anderson Allan / Jane (Unknown)   
at MONT  age 44

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
Jane Anderson was married to James Brand Taylor in Scotland. They had 2 children, Jane Christina Anderson Taylor and Allan Anderson Taylor. This family migrated from Scotland to Victoria Australia in 1850. In 1850 both James and his son died.

Jane married James McKay in 1853 and on 13 May 1853 James McKay died, drunk, captain of a boat, The Sea, that 'crashed', sank, attempting to go out through heads of Port Phillip Bay. (see the post called 'It's a treasure hunt, help me find Jane.'

I would like to find out some information about her little girl who doesn't show up anywhere from the time her mother married John Gillespie in 1855, until she gets married in 1876.

Any help gratefully received.

Rgds Liz

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
She is mentioned here, 1st column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article88240742

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
You are without information about Jane Christina from 1855 until her marriage in 1876.

You say her mother Jane Anderson remarried in 1855 - what information do you have about Jane Christina in 1855?

If Jane Christina was born in 1847, went to Australia in 1850 and married in 1876, it is not surprising that there is nothing to be found. Is there anything in particular you are hoping to find?

There are often huge gaps in our knowledge of our ancestors whereabouts.

Added: I was going to suggest checking Trove, but see Jamjar has found mention of her.  :)

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
She is mentioned here, 1st column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article88240742

Jamjar

Thank you so much. I can't tell you how many times I've trawled through Trove, and I clearly missed that one.

By the way the Rylands mentioned are Jane Christinas relatives.