Author Topic: Help me find Jane's daughter  (Read 2870 times)

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find Jane's daughter
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 August 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
You are without information about Jane Christina from 1855 until her marriage in 1876.

You say her mother Jane Anderson remarried in 1855 - what information do you have about Jane Christina in 1855?

If Jane Christina was born in 1847, went to Australia in 1850 and married in 1876, it is not surprising that there is nothing to be found. Is there anything in particular you are hoping to find?

There are often huge gaps in our knowledge of our ancestors whereabouts.

Added: I was going to suggest checking Trove, but see Jamjar has found mention of her.  :)

It is only recently that I discovered that Jane Christina existed, and that was when I followed up the previous thread I mentioned. I have quite a number letters written by family members and I've used these to fill in a  lot of gaps, but there is not one mention of this little girl in any of them.

Jane Christina was 9 when her half brother Peter was born so if she was living with the family surely he would have mentioned her in some of the documentation. Hence my question about what typically happened to children of previous marriages. She is clearly well known to her mothers family but gets no mention in anything relating to the Gillespies.

Perhaps it just 'is what it is' and I'm clutching at straws trying to find out more. I guess I just like a good mystery!!

Rgds, Liz

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 August 18 01:19 BST (UK) »
She is mentioned here, 1st column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article88240742

Jamjar

Thank you so much. I can't tell you how many times I've trawled through Trove, and I clearly missed that one.

By the way the Rylands mentioned are Jane Christinas relatives.

So, is it likely that the Rylands and Jane had kept in contact in the years after Jane's mum re-married ... or is it a fluke that the Rylands and Jane were all residing at Loddon and all sought licences at the same time...  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 August 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
She is mentioned here, 1st column:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article88240742

Jamjar

Thank you so much. I can't tell you how many times I've trawled through Trove, and I clearly missed that one.

By the way the Rylands mentioned are Jane Christinas relatives.

So, is it likely that the Rylands and Jane had kept in contact in the years after Jane's mum re-married ... or is it a fluke that the Rylands and Jane were all residing at Loddon and all sought licences at the same time...  :)

JM

I found an article in Trove dated 18 May 1885. The article is an insolvency hearing for George Ryland and it indicates that his niece Jane Anderson Taylor held 390 acres of his property along with his sons and daughter. This is what made me think that perhaps Jane Christina had been brought up by her Aunt, Janes sister Christina. She also inherits from her Uncle Caleb Anderson so she must have kept contact with that family.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 August 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
There is not a great distance between Elphinstone where the GILLESPIEs were farming and store-keeping, and Castlemaine where George and Christina RYLAND were having two children in 1856 and 1857. It is only 10 or 12 kilometers.

It is easy to imagine the young Jane Christina Anderson TAYLOR moved between her mother's Elphinstone home and that of her aunt (Mrs RYLAND).
Both sisters were busy with young children and she was of a good age to help in a household.

When her mother died, perhaps she settled with her aunt.

When John GILLESPIE died he obviously  knew where Jane Christina Anderson TAYLOR stood in her uncle Caleb's will and saw no need to bequeath to her. Also, married daughters EDIT (stepdaughter  or not) were often not included in wills.

I do not think it was a sign of ill-feeling.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 August 18 07:29 BST (UK) »
From the certificate of this marriage -
1876 / 4600 TAYLOR Jane Christina Anderson  m. DICKINSON James Henry   

When and where were they married, and who are the witnesses. Witnesses might be people who were involved in her life.

James Brand TAYLOR, wife Jane nee ANDERSON and children James and Jane.........what ship did they arrive on, 1850? 

And Jane ANDERSON had two daughters, both named Jane?

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 August 18 08:12 BST (UK) »
There is not a great distance between Elphinstone where the GILLESPIEs were farming and store-keeping, and Castlemaine where George and Christina RYLAND were having two children in 1856 and 1857. It is only 10 or 12 kilometers.

It is easy to imagine the young Jane Christina Anderson TAYLOR moved between her mother's Elphinstone home and that of her aunt (Mrs RYLAND).
Both sisters were busy with young children and she was of a good age to help in a household.

When her mother died, perhaps she settled with her aunt.

When John GILLESPIE died he obviously  knew where Jane Christina Anderson TAYLOR stood in her uncle Caleb's will and saw no need to bequeath to her. Also, married daughters EDIT (stepdaughter  or not) were often not included in wills.

I do not think it was a sign of ill-feeling.

Sue

All this makes very good sense Sue. Thank you for the perspective.

Liz

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 August 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
From the certificate of this marriage -
1876 / 4600 TAYLOR Jane Christina Anderson  m. DICKINSON James Henry   

When and where were they married, and who are the witnesses. Witnesses might be people who were involved in her life.

James Brand TAYLOR, wife Jane nee ANDERSON and children James and Jane.........what ship did they arrive on, 1850? 

And Jane ANDERSON had two daughters, both named Jane?

I'm unsure of the details of the marriage. The information I have on the marriage was from an article in Trove.

James and Jane Taylor came to Australia on 9 Feb 1850 On board the Zemindar. Arrival in Melbourne 1 Nov 1850?

Yes, Jane had a daughter with John Gillespie called Jane Isabella, know as Isabella, whereas Jane Andersons daughter Jane Christina was known as Jane/Jeannie/Jenny. I found this from Ancestry. John Gillespies mother was Jane and Jane Andersons mother was also Jane so perhaps naming protocols had something to do with this.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 August 18 10:01 BST (UK) »

Can you please identify your source for these statements -

"... Yes Jane Christina migrated with Jane and her father James Taylor".

Where are you seeing this?. What ship did they arrive on?

"....... In 1850 both James (Brand TAYLOR) and his son (Allan Alexander TAYLOR) died".

BDM VIC death
1850 / 4822 TAYLOR   James Brand parents  UKN / UKN   died Melbourne age 27

Can you please identify the death of the son.

Did Jane Christina TAYLOR possibly arrive later than her parents, and in the care of other family members to Melbourne?

Do you have death certificate for Jane DICKINSON to see how "years in the colony" are recorded?

1929 / 6925 DICKINSON  Jane Christina Anderson  parents TAYLOR James Brand / Jane (Anderson)   

Offline LizG56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:46 BST (UK) »

Can you please identify your source for these statements -

"... Yes Jane Christina migrated with Jane and her father James Taylor".

Where are you seeing this?. What ship did they arrive on?

"....... In 1850 both James (Brand TAYLOR) and his son (Allan Alexander TAYLOR) died".

BDM VIC death
1850 / 4822 TAYLOR   James Brand parents  UKN / UKN   died Melbourne age 27

Can you please identify the death of the son.

Did Jane Christina TAYLOR possibly arrive later than her parents, and in the care of other family members to Melbourne?

Do you have death certificate for Jane DICKINSON to see how "years in the colony" are recorded?

1929 / 6925 DICKINSON  Jane Christina Anderson  parents TAYLOR James Brand / Jane (Anderson)

This is the information I have used for their arrival.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4774624

The Argus 11 Feb 1850

Shipping Intelligence
Arrived
February .9 'Zemindar,' ship. 716, tons, G. Poole, commander, from Greenock, 1st November. Passengers. - Cabin, ........ Steerage, ........, J. B. Taylor, wife and family,.......,
Rae and Co. Agents.

BDM VIC death - from Ancestry
1850 / 28185 Allan Anderson Taylor age 1

Sorry I don't have a copy of her death certificate.
Liz