Author Topic: How to find who lived in a Gillingham address in 1958?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How to find who lived in a Gillingham address in 1958?
« on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
I am researching a fellow from a Gillingham family who lived in one address but died in another (I am imagining all sorts of interesting scenarios!) As I can't yet access his death certificate to get any clues (GRO death certificates only available to 1957!) I was wondering if there was a way of finding out the occupants? I can't find electoral records for this area online which is where I thought I might hit pay dirt. TIA for suggestions.

JR
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to find who lived in a Gillingham address in 1958?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
Ancestry's British Phone Book collection covers Gillingham for 1958 so you can do a name lookup which will give you an address, if they had a telephone.
HTH
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter. Never thought of the phone book. Unfortunately, I don't know who lived at the address but how big could the listings for Gillingham be (gulp)?

JR

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Medway Archives or Gillingham Library might have a street directory which would tell you the head of the household.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
I am researching a fellow from a Gillingham family who lived in one address but died in another (I am imagining all sorts of interesting scenarios!) As I can't yet access his death certificate to get any clues (GRO death certificates only available to 1957!) I was wondering if there was a way of finding out the occupants? I can't find electoral records for this area online which is where I thought I might hit pay dirt. TIA for suggestions.

JR

Free bmd has death registrations for 1958, then you could order standard death cert from GRO at £9.25 through this link
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp

but if you already know where the person died, the death cert may not give any extra information. The informant may not be any of the family who normally resided at that address.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Medway parish burial records are online although they don't have as many details as a death certificate

https://cityark.medway.gov.uk/results

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Did your person leave a will,older ones from the 1950's give the date of death and an address.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
The local library should have an Electoral Register.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - much appreciated. Working backwards...unfortunately I'm not a local so I can't get to the library at Gillingham for either electoral rolls or street directories - more's the pity :(

Yes I have some probate information which is how I came to see that this person didn't die at their home address but at an address round the corner. Of course, it could be as simple as he nipped round for a cuppa and had a heart attack. I'm interested to see though if he was with his wife (whom I believe he may have been estranged from for some years) or had a much slower decline and was with a family member being cared for.

I'll have a look at cityark even though I find the site difficult to navigate and tend to avoid it.

I hadn't thought about going through freebmd and getting the record details. That's an idea! I prefer not to go snail mail as I have had a number of certificates go missing in the post and have had to wait months to get some information. But needs must! You're right that I might not get additional information about who else was at the address (although the certificates, certainly older ones, do tend to include who was present at death). But I have my fingers crossed that it was family as he had many relatives living not only in Gillingham but also in the street in which he died. In some ways I would just like to rule out the wife being present.

I did try the phone book approach but of course you must have a name.

Thanks for all the ideas - I have some work to do.

JR