Author Topic: Are numbers a date? Studio photo of Dad  (Read 872 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Are numbers a date? Studio photo of Dad
« on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all, does anyone have a definite answer as to what the numbers 033 at top of this studio photograph are?  Could they be the year e.g. 1933 or could it be something like a reference to the number of photos the photographer had taken that day e.g. thirty-third photo.

All suggestions welcomed.  Thanks. Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Are numbers a date? Studio photo of Dad
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
There was probably a large party having their pictures taken so the photographer would need some kind of reference as to who was who.
He would also need a batch number for the group.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jim, I think you have it spot on!  I can see it now - the new ratings getting their photos at the same time to send home to the family.  Thanks again Jim, I'm mightily impressed.  TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline gowjani

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
I would say that it would allow the photographer to know which photograph belonged to which person, if they were placing an order with him.
Caskie / Caskey in Ireland
Allan in Ayrshire , Scotland
Gowans in Fife , Scotland
Ross in Morayshire , Scotland

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi TonyR,  This photo of your Dad looks similar to those taken here in Australia of service
                personnel in WW2.  Perhaps this was an ID. photo of your Dad for the Navy. 
                These photos have been preserved and are now included with service records
                by the National Archives of Australia.  Maybe you could check your Dad's service
                records to see whether this particular photo is included. 

Regards,
Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: Are numbers a date? Studio photo of Dad
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
Jen, thanks for the info but Dad was in England during WW2.  I've looked for any of his service and there are no records after 1927 when he was Invalided out of the Navy - this fits in with his family life.

Hi gowjani, I agree with you that it was the photographer's reference number and not a date.  It's like Jim suggests a large party or in this case a group of sailors all arriving together and the photographer needs some way to find the photo later.

Thanks for the interest and help, it's much appreciated.  TonyR.

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi TonyR,   I realized from your profile that you were in England and was not suggesting that
                 you look in Australian records.  It was just a suggestion that if it was done in
                 Australia then perhaps other countries i.e. England also used this system.
                 I still think it is an official photograph for ID purposes, the image is not typical
                 of a studio portrait, the composition just isn't there.  If your Dad was invalided out
                 of the navy in 1927 then the year 1933 mentioned in your original post would not
                 be a date when your Dad was in uniform.

Your Dad looks very young in this photo, perhaps around 17 years so perhaps it was
                 a photo taken when he joined the navy.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 18 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen, I thought you meant he could have been in Oz, my mistake. I've checked British records and no further mention of Dad.  Only option remaining is to ask Royal Navy if they have any more info on him, but they want £30 just to check, regardless whether there is any info or not. As he was Invalided out and not recorded on any official documents as a Sailor after 1928, I'm guessing they won't have anything.  Thanks for your interest and input.  Regards, TonyR.