Author Topic: Brain Buster Only for the brave Mathis  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brain Buster Only for the brave Mathis
« on: Sunday 19 August 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
So 6 years in and still none the wiser.

Now my 3rd great grandfather is a mystery. To save any time, I know about each and everyone of his children and their children and their children  ;D

But he is a mystery.
So I have him on 3 census 1891 says he is alien Switzerland. 1901 says he is alien Switzerland.
And 1911 a month before he dies, which I believe he wrote this one himself, says Germany! All while living in London.

Next puzzle, his wife, their is no marriage that can be found, and wonder if it could of been in France, which I will explain why. 

Their 2nd child born 1984 have a birth record in French if anyone one like to see, says Paris, so maybe they could of married in Paris. 

He was a Stonemason by trade, and wonder what they could of been doing in Paris? The birth record for 2nd child has an address, which I have tried searching, but nothing comes up.

The rest of the children were all born in London and again I know all about their pasts/futures.

So before I give he's and he's wives details, I will also add, I could not find any nationalization record, or any shipping record, wonder how they got to Paris and back, as the 3rd,4th,5th and 6th child all born back in London.

He seems from the one photo I have a distinguished gentleman, he paid into a work trade union which I found a record off and his cause of death.

So I have his name as  William Otto Morsty Mathis born 1858 and died 10 MAY 1911
and his wife Ellen Jane Gough born 1858  4 Plough Court, Saint Clement Danes and died 27 JAN 1907 Wandsworth.

I thought their must be a shipping record or something somewhere if they were in Paris too, the birth record mentioned them both as husband and wife in Paris.
Anyone feeling brave is welcome thanks :-)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brain Buster Only for the brave Mathis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
There are no passenger lists for people travelling between England and the continent.

Previous topic- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767382.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

It would be interesting to see the original birth entry for the child born in Paris.
So can you tell us in which arrondissement of Paris you have found this birth entry.
http://archives.paris.fr/r/123/archives-numerisees/

Regards
Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Mathis, as a surname, occurs widely in German speaking north and eastern Switzerland from the 19th century backwards. You would therefore need to pin down the exact community of origin to find any local records.

Offline Taylor111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
pb-devon, I wouldn't be able to, wouldn't a clue where to start. There are people who have tried 20 years searching past him or just finding any clue as to how he came to be in England, with no luck.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,
so, he could be from Switzerland or Germany.
Let's try Switzerland first: have you searched the register of Swiss surnames ? http://www.hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/?lg=e. Type Mathis , before 1800 and 19th century. You obtain a list of cantons and cities ( 5 cantons for the name Mathis ).

what are the capital letters for ? see here  http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/kanton-m.htm

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,
so, he could be from Switzerland or Germany.
Let's try Switzerland first: have you searched the register of Swiss surnames ? http://www.hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/?lg=e. Type Mathis , before 1800 and 19th century. You obtain a list of cantons and cities ( 5 cantons for the name Mathis ).

what are the capital letters for ? see here  http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/kanton-m.htm

Hence my comment in post#3.
If the OP is really keen, then an enquiry to the civil registry offices of all the communities listed would be a starting point. A large task, but at least might produce an answer, even if a negative one!

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 August 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Morsty seems unprobable, so I searched a little . Ancestry gives him as William Mority, or Morito , Otto Mathis, unprobable too, but who knows. Family Search gives him , census 1911 ,as William Montz Otto MATHIS. So may be you should not be too precise with the Christian names when filling in forms, enter William Otto could be more productive.

And more , in Switzerland or Germany the first name won't be William but may be Wilhem.