Author Topic: Father not recorded a mystery of the two Emmas Knights  (Read 2820 times)

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Father not recorded a mystery of the two Emmas Knights
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie and thanks again the puzzles coming together slowly,  I hadn't looked on 1939 register yet, perhaps it means she must have been a private nurse as I think she was a nurse at Great Hale too in 1871 for the farm there. Her family were boot and shoemakers and agricultural labourers so they must have been very proud of her especially working at the Castle and travelling with the Duke of Rutlands family to Belgrave Square, Knightsbridge.
She would have seen the Dukes private doctors using leeches as he suffered from gout perhaps he needed her nursing capacities to help his painful condition he seems to have thought highly of her to take her everywere until his death in 1901 where the Drummonds keep her on at Swaylands House now just an old general servant along with the much Older Emma perhaps a cousin. :-\

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
It is certainly good to be able to trace her career right through her life.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
They certainly knew how to spend money, the expense sheet for the Belvoir Hunt in 1786 shows the huntsman and two of his colleagues were paid over £140 in wages alone, my farrier/smith ancestor received over £21 and lived over the stables on the estate, as did his son and later his grandson in the early census years.  Another branch of the same line were surgeons and apothecaries, largely around Ropsley and Great Hale from the mid 1700's until the latter part of the 1800's. It dies seem, that whatever their occupations my lot seemed to be in, or around the estate lands in a number of areas over many years.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
As no Baptism can be found for Emma Jane her Birth Cert may be the only way to find who her Mother was.
As John/Sarah had several Daughters any of them may be her Mother;
Emma 1824, died 1825
Louisa 1826
Sarah Ann 1828
Emma 1832

I would put my money on Sarah possibly as she is at home in 1851 Census where Emma J is 3mths old.

It was very interesting to read all the info you have on the Families the girls worked for :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
I too have found it interesting and am wondering about the relationship between the Drummonds and the Manners.
It is astonishing to see the numbers of servants etc employed especially in the census re Belvoir Castle where I can see some Drummonds in the census.
I think both Emmas worked for the Drummonds though after 1871 rather than the Duke of Rutland’s family.
The 1901 address for Emma Jane is a Drummond residence whilst the older Emma is in Kent with the family.
Have I gone wrong somewhere?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood, no your'e not wrong. 
When Emma was at Knipton Lodge in 1881 one of the Drummond children was Adeliza who was named her grandmother Adeliza Norman whose mother was a Manners.
I have noticed that when Emma is working as a nurse in 14 Belgrave Square in 1901 she isn't down as a nurserymaid or a professionall nurse to the sick as there seem to be three categories of nurse in 1901.

Professional nurse to the sick
Nurse
Nurserymaid

If you read the lists of various households and theyre members staying at Belgrave Square and surrounding squares and streets on that night of 1901 there are peers sons, the Countess of Sefton, William Deedes and Rosa Deedes, Francis Thynne, John York and his wife Sophie who was born in Holland, and Kennelm Digby who sounds familiar plus many others including umpteen footmen coachmen ladies maids domestics butlers equerryies a vast army of servants some in the grand houses others to be found in all of the squares mews.

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish youre probably right about Emma's mother being Sara,  although as I see Emma on the 1851 census at Great Hale Farm with her brother Frederick she is 18 and a ground breaker or draper and Frederick is a cordwainer.  Im guessing her child baby Emma Jane was left with her grandparents as Emma and Frederick are living alone at Great Hale in 1851 so mum Emma probably left baby Emma Jane with her grandparents and sister Sarah to look after. Its interesting to see a marriage for Emma/ mother? in July 1861 Sleaford at Helpringham. Maybe she only married baby Emma Jane's father when Emma Jane was around 10 years old. Could explain quite a bit there. :-\

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Help with Hugh and John Hugh Roos
Can someone look up the birth of a Hugh Roos in Scotland he was born around 1867 and was a Butler in 14 Belgrave Square on the 1901 Census night can anyone trace him on the 1871 or 1881 1911 census as i just draw blanks :-[
A very strange coincidence that on 1901 census night another John Hugh Roos also born in Inverness Scotland was boarding with a couple called Lambert who were in the joinery trade in Horsely Road Paddington London where he is shown as aged 30 and a furniture remover. :-\

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the connection  :)

George J Drummond’s probate in 1917 gives his address as 14 Belgrave Square and 14 Charing Cross. This is the 1901 address for Emma Jane.
It looks as though she remained with the Drummond family.

Where do you have her nursing in the Duke of Rutland’s household?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk