Author Topic: Father not recorded a mystery of the two Emmas Knights  (Read 2810 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Father not recorded a mystery of the two Emmas Knights
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
As already mentioned Emma jnr was a 21 year old nurse in Spalding in 1871
RG10 /3321 f78 p4

Think we have her now in 51/61/71  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
Good find Rosie with 1861 Census :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
I think we have done well between us all  ;D

Presumably Emma juniors birth
KNIGHT, EMMA   (no mothers maiden name)    -     
GRO Reference: 1851  March Quarter in SLEAFORD  Volume 14  Page 583

I think Emma J is in Cuckfield area just before WW2.  ;D

Possible death in Kent  :-\
Deaths Dec 1943   
Emma J Knight    age 92    Tonbridge    2a   1501
Though she could have died anywhere

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 August 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
thanks so much for your expertise in helping me trace these two Emmas my only question is there are two sets of parents who had the same names John and Sarah with a daughter called Emma 1841 census shows Sarah and John Knight as Master and Mistress of the Union Workhouse im wondering if Emma the older born in 1834 was they're daughter as the other John and Sarah Knight lived at Great Hale and were shoemakers- i think the two Emmas must have been able to read and write to have been taken around the country by the Drummond/Manners family where in 1901 Emma Jane was working in Belgrave Square London as a nurse possibly to the duke of rutland who died of gout in Belgrave square I shant feel too sorry for him as he drunk buckets of Claret and was a big gambler he must have really kept Emma busy and most likely kept her on for a reason! - though we shall never know I like to think the two emmas were pensioned off and sent back to Lincolnshire to end theyre days would be a nice thought! ::)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind the seat of the Dukes of Rutland is Belvoir Castle, many of the workers on the estate are to be found around Knipton and Woolsthorpe.

If she was at Belvoir in 1851 then many of my ancestors may have known her as they too lived and worked on the estate, the local churchyard has an entire line of stones for my ancestral family. Knight is a name in my tree  a couple of times but after a quick check mine appear to be Barton area, interesting that the earliest is an Emma abt 1858.

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Glen,  yes I realised Belvoir is the Duke of Rutlands family seat after reading the Census entry for the night of  1871!
There were at least most of the Earls Countesses and Duchess of the UK and Princess Mary of Teck and Prince Christian the huge list just keep going on and on plus an enormous number of servants an equerry to Prince Christian too, plus two  Ladies maids of whom was Emma and particularly impressive at least six footmen!
What on earth was going on the evening the census enumerators came knocking,  the mind boggles and what on earth does a footman do! Beats Downton Abbey and the Crawley family hands down! ;D

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
A big thanks to you too Trish I might send off for the some of those certificates and its good to know the church was St Marys if it still exists. My grandmother on my father's side was a Knight by marriage as my paternal grandfather was William Edward Knight and the Knights were Supposed to have come from Leicester,  they intermarried with Arnold family and Robinsons though ive never managed to trace any of them successfully. Emma, my grandmother told me was her husbands aunt,  they used to visit her in around 1924 ish in Leicester when she was old and very poor my grandmother said she died in the workhouse but had travelled with a grand family to Russia as a nurse/governess as by her bed she had a solid silver Russian church icon from her travels.  Sadly she died shortly after that hopefully not in the workhouse. Id love to trace her voyage if it ever existed. :-\

Offline scarlettslipper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 01:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks rosie,
im nearly finished with Emmas life all except her fabled voyage to Russia with the Drummond/Manners family whom she seems to have spent her whole life working for.
she had a very interesting life compared to brother Frederick who never moved from great Hale until his death in 1901 at 72. :-\

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
You can see which John & Sarah are the elder Emma's parents.  Emmas brother Frederick is also living with them in 1841 so not the workhouse couple.

I presume you have found the younger Emma on the 1939 register, sorry I am not allowed to give any details from that database.