Author Topic: Diodis Sweetland b c 1664  (Read 599 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diodis Sweetland b c 1664
« on: Monday 20 August 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I wondered if it might be possible to do a look up request please for 2 relatives of mine (hopefully)?

I have a Simon Sweetland who died in Kilmington in 1762, I think he was born around 1699-1705. I can't find his baptism at Kilmington (the record book is lost) so his parents and siblings may be lost to me, but a possibility I am investigating that his parents were:

Diodis Sweetland baptisted 24 Jul 1664 • Widworthy,Devon,England ( I think he was born in Dalwood as his marriage in 1693 is listed as Dionysie Swetland of Dalwood and Thomasin Board of Whitworthy). If Diodis and Dionysie are the same person.

I wondered if someone might be able to look up his baptism so that I can find out his father's name please?

Also would it be possible to look for his death please? Some say it maybe at St Peter's in Dalwood in 1731.

Finally would somebody mind looking for the birth of a Simon Sweetland b 1699 to see if his father is Diodis/Dionysie?

I know this is alot of asks but I have drawn a blank, I am not sure if Diodis was a Devonshire name or a nick name and I also can't prove that my Simon was his son.

I know alot about Simon but don't have his baptism to prove his parents - what I do know: apprenticed (carpentry) in 1714 • Membury, Devon, England (settled in Kilmington), baptised aged 16 1715 • Membury, Devon, England, married to Mary Lidon 9 May 1725 • Kilmington, Devon, England, had his children in Kilmington, gave apprenticeship for carpentry 9 Oct 1730 • Kilmington, Devon, England to Timothy son of Mary Liddon and died there Burial 22 Jan 1762 • Kilmington, Devon, England.

Dalwood, Membury, Widworthy and Kilmington are all really close to one another.

I am grateful to you for your time in reading this. Best wishes,
Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diodis Sweetland b c 1664
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 07:59 BST (UK) »
Emma,
I have looked at the baptism image (Diodis Swettland) on FindMyPast and his father's name is not given, this might indicate he was not baptised as a child.
There certainly is a burial of a Dionis Sweatland at Dalwood on 13th Oct 1731 but no age given. I can't see any other candidates.
I can't see the baptism of Simon.
Regards
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diodis Sweetland b c 1664
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Emma,
I have looked at the baptism image (Diodis Swettland) on FindMyPast and his father's name is not given, this might indicate he was not baptised as a child.
There certainly is a burial of a Dionis Sweatland at Dalwood on 13th Oct 1731 but no age given. I can't see any other candidates.
I can't see the baptism of Simon.
Regards
Peter

Thank you ever so much for having a look, much appreciated :)
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)