Author Topic: Dr Edward Mitchell  (Read 625 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr Edward Mitchell
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hello

Edward Mitchell was born 31 Aug 1896 in Enniskillen ,Ireland . He trained at Dublin University and his early years in Medicine are at Dublin Hospitals.
We pick him up in England through  the 1925 Medical directory . And learn he had been a Captain  in the RAMC --either WW1 or just after ? But i cant trace his records.

He is living at Snaresbrook with a brother at Wicklow Lodge in 1925.
His practice is Bonnefin and Mitchell at Crownfield house.243 Leytonstone road,Stratford.
From the 1939 Registry on Ancestry I learnt he was married but his wife is not listed as being with him--haven't been able to find a marriage---of course it might have taken place in Ireland.
He is listed as in charge of a first aid post in Westham
Again from the Medical directory for 1942 i know he is at Chagford,The Drive ,Snaresbrook but after that i cant find out what happened to him. I am assuming he died before 1960 as he was the only one of the Mitchell Siblings not mentioned in his brothers ( William J Mitchell) will made in Ireland .
But Edward Mitchell has proved to be a popular name and I have not identified the correct death record.
Hoping someone can help me fill in the missing pieces.
Thank You .

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Edward Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's a tough one!
Those two addresses in Snaresbrook seem to be vacant in 1939.
Dr E Mitchell is in the phone book at Chagwood, The Drive, in 1947.
Then he goes missing.
Could he have married (fairly!) locally? It might be our best hope.
There is this one -
Sep 1933 Orsett 4a 1861
Joslin, Isabella B. - spouse Mitchell
Mitchell, Edward - spouse Joslin

There is a son born in 1935 in Essex SW (which is the district we want). Registered March qtr 1936.
We can see from the free index to 1939 that Isabella B Mitchell was with Joslins on the 1939 Register. Living in Sussex.
She seems to have died in 1981 and there is probate.
Her husbands death appears to be
March 1949 Aylesbury 6a 342
Mitchell, Edward
age 52

Probate for him too, a will. He was of The Hollows Little Horwood near Bletchley
died 11 January 1949 Royal Bucks Hospital
Probate to Herbert Mitchell, farmer, and Isabella Beryl Mitchell, widow.

Your man had a brother Herbert?

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
Gosh this interesting and confusing. Yes he had a brother Herbert -another Dr who in 1930 is practicing with Edward and living in Snaresbrook with their mother. I think Herbert dies 1961--have just sent for a will to try and prove that.
Just Surprised that William ( the brother in ireland ) would have left Edwards family out of his will when he covered everyone else.
Very many thanks.
By way of update. Records suggest that Isabella was born in Canada. Address at death in 1981  is the same as for Edward. Its possible their son was known by a middle name. In which case he was included in his Uncles will. Unfortunately that will dint include addresses. Lots to follow up-thank you again .

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
"MITCHELL, on Jan. 11, 1949, suddenly, Dr Edward Mitchell, The Hollows, Winslow, Bucks, and late of Snaresbrook, London, beloved husband of Isabel (daughter of Mr and Mrs C D Joslin, Nash, Bucks) and darling daddie of Tiggie. Funeral private"

The Daily Telegraph (London, England), Thursday, January 13, 1949

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
Records suggest that Isabella was born in Canada.

Yes, you can see records in Canada for her father Clement Davies JOSLIN on familysearch, in case you already haven't  ;) eg
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV95-ZD3J

Clement Davies JOSLIN birth reg Dec qtr 1881 Orsett 4a/292 (mother's maiden name DAVIES)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 03:11 BST (UK) »
"JOSLIN - DAVIES. April 7 at Queens Square Congregational Church, Brighton, by the father of the bride and the Rev, Paxton Hood, Clement Joslin of the Willows, Wennington, Essex, third son of Henry Joslin Esq., of Hoppea Hall, Upminster, to Isabella, second daughter of the Rev. John Davies, of Denmark Terrace, Brighton."

Essex Standard, Wednesday, April 14, 1869

"JOSLIN - On the 9th inst. at High House, Purfleet, Essex, the wife of Clement Joslin, of a son."

Morning Post, Monday, November 14, 1881

There is also a lovely item about the funeral of Henry JOSLIN of Upminster in 1833 if you're interested.  ;)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
Really fascinating -thank You . Edward has been a mystery to me for a number of years but not any more. Thank you both.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 August 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
Just by way of update . Edward left his medical practice to his brother Herbert. Both had an interest in breeding horses and as well as being a Dr ,Herbert was a farmer and  lived in Bletchley Buckinghamshire. He had married Beatrice Alice  Harrison. He outlived Edward.