Author Topic: William James WILLIAMS - RNVR Depot Crystal Palace (HMS Victory VI)  (Read 685 times)

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William James WILLIAMS - RNVR Depot Crystal Palace (HMS Victory VI)
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
I have recently bought a photo album that belonged to Petty Officer William James Williams of Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. From what I have found out, he studied at Cambridge University where he was attached to Christ's College. He married Margaret (Maggie) A. Simons at Vaynor Parish Church on 7th August, 1918. There are reports of this in the Western Mail of 8th August and the Merthyr Express of 10th August, 1918.
He was a telegraphist/instructor at the Wireless School RNVR Depot, Crystal Palace.
Maggie was a teacher at Abermorlais School and was the youngest daughter of Rowland Simons of Taimawr Farm near Cefn Coed and Mrs Simons of Hanover Street, Merthyr (the address given in the front of the album).
I am struggling to identify William's service record. Who would have thought that there were so many William Williams?
The album contains many named photographic portraits of the people he presumably taught. I have managed to identify 50 with a good degree of certainty and a few others less convincingly.
I would appreciate any assistance to help me locate the service record of this particular William Williams.

Many thanks,
Kathryn.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James WILLIAMS - RNVR Depot Crystal Palace (HMS Victory VI)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
If he was a Petty Officer when he married, he may have been commissioned later?  There is one RNVR record for a William James Williams at the National Archives for £3.50 which has date of birth 18 August 1887 - does the date help?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD. I am not sure of his date of birth or where he was born - only the marriage details as there is a newspaper cutting in the album that gives those details. Will check the record you mentioned to see if he was stationed at the right place at the right time. If it is only a medal index, that won't tell me.

Thanks again,
Kathryn.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
William James Williams b. 18 August 1887. Service number Z/5743 looks like your man. No place of birth but your details fit.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline halcyon.64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I had looked at that record previously and discounted it but having downloaded it now, I can see that you're both right. Typical that it is the only record without a birth place which would have alerted me. It fits right down to the fact that he was a student when he enlisted and ended up being an Acting Petty Officer at the time of his marriage.

Case solved! Thanks again.