Author Topic: Thomas Cochrane 1901 census  (Read 956 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Cochrane 1901 census
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
I am possibly going mad. I have on at least two occasions seen this entry but today can't find it on any of the sites. Thomas was born in 1833, spent most of his life in India but had returned by 1901 when he was living in lodgings in Gloucester. His full name was Thomas Edwin and various sources have had other spellings of his surname, but I have allowed for all that (and increased the margin around his birth date). Why can't I find it, or more importantly, can anybody else?!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cochrane 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
National Probate Calendar has Thomas Edwin Cochrane of 14 Heathville Road, Gloucester retired shopkeeper who died 22 January 1901. Administration 19 April 1901 Gloucester to Charles Edward Cochrane Surgeon.
England & Wales Civil Registration Death Index, 1837-1915 has Thomas Edwin Cochrane, Birth abt 1834, Death 01/1901 Gloucester, Gloucestershire.

If the above is your Thomas Edwin Cochrane I don't think he would have been in the 1901 England Census which was taken on 31 March 1901.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cochrane 1901 census
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
It is and you are clearly absolutely right. It does however baffle me that I was absolutely convinced I'd seen this census record ... battiness is clearly just round the corner. Thank you for this courteous clarification.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);