Author Topic: WDYTYA - Johnnie Peacock  (Read 4605 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WDYTYA - Johnnie Peacock
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Nobody else has started a thread . . . so I will ;D

Another good episode, I thought.
Although Johnny came over as a bit naive at first - e.g. "Why did she mark with an "X"?"; but I suppose we all had to start somewhere.

The episode covered a lot of what we think of as basics - but to the General Public, it would have been a good introduction to FH.

I was surprised that the researcher didn't come up with the obvious answer to the unmarried female relative with 4 children? Maybe, just maybe, the young lady was a prostitute? That has to be considered?

I really liked the format of 30 minutes to paternal; 30 minutes to maternal sides.
Never became too boring.

All-in-all a very good series this time.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Johnnie Peacock
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
I watched that episode with interest as my Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandmother gave birth to 4 illegitimate children in the 1840's / 50s.

She lived in a small village in the Midlands.

Looking at the marriage certificates of her 2 sons one just has blank in the father's name the other my Gt. Gt. Grandfather had ' Illegitimate ' written across it by the vicar.

She was never described as an agricultural worker anywhere just Servant or Cook, in fact at one time she was the cook at the local workhouse.

I have never found any mention of her in local newspapers or Bastardy records and only one  of the girls had a surname as a given name, so very few clues.

This series though has produced documents and I hope newcomers don't get the impression that documents are easy to find.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
I was waiting for somebody on Rootschat to start it - as it's "her family", who she's been researching years; they got in contact with her to ask what she had.  Gillg is the username I expected to start a thread.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
gillg has commented on another thread about WDYTYA in general and didn't see the programme.  She was waiting for the researcher to let her know when it was on.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
Did I miss the census returns for the Cambridgeshire side of the family?

Is Voss a local name, on google it could be dutch or German?

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
Did I miss the census returns for the Cambridgeshire side of the family?

Is Voss a local name, on google it could be dutch or German?

Seems to be local on this name map (1881). According to gbnames website
'English - Locational Name'
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Map.aspx?name=VOSS&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name

Maybe it comes from the word 'Fosse'?
A long, narrow trench or excavation, especially in a fortification.
Origin-Late Old English, via Old French from Latin fossa

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
Nobody else has started a thread . . . so I will ;D

Another good episode, I thought.
Although Johnny came over as a bit naive at first - e.g. "Why did she mark with an "X"?"; but I suppose we all had to start somewhere.

The episode covered a lot of what we think of as basics - but to the General Public, it would have been a good introduction to FH.

I was surprised that the researcher didn't come up with the obvious answer to the unmarried female relative with 4 children? Maybe, just maybe, the young lady was a prostitute? That has to be considered?

I really liked the format of 30 minutes to paternal; 30 minutes to maternal sides.
Never became too boring.

All-in-all a very good series this time.

Yes agree it was a good introduction for the general public just setting out on family research.

But again, I can't help being disappointed by the accuracy. Since when was 'Bootle', where the maternal side was from, 'in Liverpool'?
On the Voss side, why describe 'agricultural labouring gangs' as if that kind of labour wasn't the norm. 'Ag Lab' was the top listed occupation on the 1851 census. We have all got them haven't we?
Not sure that illegitimacy was as uncommon, or as shameful, as the series keeps making out. Going by the amount of pubs at the time, I doubt most people were sat at home reading the bible on an evening

Wasn't surprised by the 'whipping' of labourers or descriptions of them as 'slaves'. It is mentioned in many contemporary accounts

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
Bootle has always been in Liverpool in my lifetime? ;D

Bootle-cum-Linacre was a township in Walton-on-the-Hill parish; which also contained Everton, Kirkdale, Bootle-cum-Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkby, Simonswood, and Formby townships; and a  considerable part of Liverpool borough.

Sounds like Liverpool to me ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
When they visited the street where his ancestors lived in Bootle, it had an L Postcode on the street sign. Doesn't L stand for Liverpool?

Illegitimacy wasn't uncommon for the odd baby,but for a girl to have had 4 illegitimate children by what appeared to have been 4 different men,was certainly not the norm  :o
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk