Author Topic: Trying to find the Greaves family on the 1861 Leeds census - help please.  (Read 670 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find the family of my 3 x grandfather, Thomas Greaves, born 1819, Leathley, Yorkshire, and his son William Greaves (my 2 x grandfather) born in 1841, Meanwood Leeds, on the 1861 census. Thomas worked as a Quarryman - sometimes Carter or Delver. William was a Bricklayer on the 1871 census.

Thomas and his wife Rebecca had nine children; William in 1841, Sarah Ann 1843, Catherine 1846, Mary 1847, Elizabeth 1850, Harriett 1856, James 1858, Annie 1860 and Arthur in 1867.

In 1851 the family lived in Woodhouse Street, Leeds, and in 1871 Meanwood Terrace.

The address given at the baptism of Annie in 1860 was "Quarries"  Possibly a workers dwelling on the site of one of the quarries in the area? The address given at the baptism of James in 1858 was Potter Newton.

On the marriage records of Sarah Ann 1861, Catherine 1865 and Mary 1868 the address given was Buslingthorpe Street, Leeds, so this is probably where they lived but I can't find it on the 1861 census or any records for the Greaves family in this area.

I am also trying to find a death for William Greaves some time between 1874 when his youngest son was born in Gresham Street, Leeds, and 1881 when his wife, Jane Ann was living alone with the children as a widow in Cromwell Street.

I have run out of ideas where to look next so would be grateful for any help you can give.

Thank You,

Heather.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the Greaves family on the 1861 Leeds census - help please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
There is no buslingthorpe at in the street index. Buslingthorpe court, lane, row, lane, vale etc are on rg9 3390 on the first 20odd pages. A bit more on 3389 100-120
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pauline, I have already trawled through all of these and also the Meanwood area but not found the family - very frustrating!

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
I'll take a look for these for you later if nobody else has (just posting this to notify for emails).

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
One part of Leeds census is missing in 1861  :-\
3388   - West Yorkshire - Leeds -West Leeds (3) - Leeds NW Ward

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l0i/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
It does look possible that they were living in this area. It would explain why I am unable to find them!

Can anyone help with a death for William?

I have found a possible death in 1888 for a William Greaves  in the workhouse and also found a William Greaves in court for vagrancy in 1884 so I wonder if he just left home and his wife called herself widow to save face?

I would like to think not as this was my gr gr grandfather!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
There was also a William Greaves brought to court in Leeds in 1886 for receiving stolen property, knowing it to be stolen. No age given unfortunately - or address. This might be in the local newspaper - I found it on Find My Past Criminal Records. A newspaper may give more info.

Wonder if the local archives have the Workhouse records?

Often - if a couple separated the wife would show herself as a widow to save face. I would be interested in trying to find out if the Workhouse records have survived for that period -- may be at Leeds Archives, or West Yorkshire Archives at Wakefield (Yorkshire is a bit confusing -- there are several Archives - but you could contact one to see if they have them and, if not, ask them where they may be).

If it is your William -- it does bring a bit of 'colour' to your family tree -- rather than everyone being boringly normal and well behaved!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I will try and find some workhouse and newspaper records.

I know William's wife ended up in the workhouse, as did some other members of the family. She is buried in Beckett Street cemetery as "wife of William Greaves" (not widow). Also, on his daughter's marriage record  in1886 her father, William, is not shown as deceased although the father of the groom was. Just little things that make me think William was actually still alive! It does look as though the couple must have separated.

More detective work needed I think - the joys of genealogy!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Erica -- I am assuming you found William's possible burial amongst the Beckett St Cemetery records on Ancestry -- did you notice that in the relationship column it states something like 'Medical School Leeds'?

I wonder if this means his body was initially sent to the medical school for examination/medical training reasons etc before burial?

I have never seen that on a burial record before -- although it may just mean he was treated there. His abode is definitely shown as Workhouse.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.