Author Topic: Ancestry DNA story - regions of Great Britain  (Read 741 times)

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA story - regions of Great Britain
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi all, new to DNA and have so many questions.

I have access to the results of 2 Ancestry DNA tests; why would one have lots of different regions of Great Britain in their dna story (eg West Midlands, Southern England, Northern England) but the other have just 2 broad regions. ("England,Wales & NW Europe" plus "Ireland, Scotland") . They are both the updated versions and are not related to each other.

Thanks
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA story - regions of Great Britain
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Firstly, most of us reckon that ethnicity results on Ancestry are of almost no value other than as a source of humour.

Secondly, why would two results, each for a separate person be anything like each other? In my own results' matches, some people are "Great Britain" only whilst others read like the index to a world atlas.

My two children have different ethnic origins. As our American cousins would say: "Go figure!"

The value comes from the Shared Matches tab.

I recommend reading through other Rootschat DNA threads; they are are helpful medley of healthy ciynicism blended with good tip and the experiences of others that will save you much wasted effort.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline netti

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I wouldn't expect them to be the same or even correct, But I've only ever seen 2 sets of results and was intrigued by the difference in the level of detail. I will keep reading
AMES-london*ARROWSMITH-herefordshire*TUDGE-worcestershire*NOCTOR-wexford

All census information Crown Copyright
from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
Another factor in the case of Ancestry tests is whether people have gone into their DNA test settings. You can select/ de-select the ethnicity display. If selected, Ancestry settings say your shared matches will see your full ethnicity profile.

If not selected, Ancestry says they will only see the portion of your ethnicity you share with them. I can’t remember what the default setting was.

This could possibly (but not necessarily) explain differences in the level of detail.