Author Topic: Robert Scott- Master Gardener  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Scott- Master Gardener
« on: Tuesday 21 August 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
I am doing research into Robert Scott founder of the Tweed Industry in Dumfries. In this connection I have found that his father , who die in 1824 , was a  Master gardener who may have worked for the Duke of Buccleuch in Langholm about the 1780's -1790's. I hope to look into the Buccleuch archives in Edinburgh but would welcome it if anyone has any information on the family. His wife was Mary McMichael and is buried alongside him in Tinwald Churchyard in Dumfries

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Scott- Master Gardener
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
his ancestor researched and wrote a book on the Scotts in Dumfries, published privately. The Ewart Library has a copy.

Ian

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. Many thanks for your reply I had looked at the book in the Ewart but it makes no reference to Robert Scott snr having worked for the Duke of Buccleuch. However I have information that a Robert Scott did work in Langholm in the capacity of Master Gardener for the Buccleuchs. Unfortunately I have yet to confirm the connection. The Scotts of the Tweed Industry in Dumfries did produce a Coat of Arms which was based on the Buccleuchs but as the author of the book makes clear there was no familial connection

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
I have been advised that there was a Robert Scott who worked for the Buccleuchs In Langholm as a Master Gardener. Copies of receipts for 1771 and 1772 or on record a Drumlanrig Castle in the Buccleuch archives. However this does not confirm that the Robert Scott is the same one that I am researching. Has anyone any idea how I can take this further. All the information I have is that Robert Scott Master Gardener was married to Mary McMichael . He died in 1824 and she died in 1812 and both are buried in Tinwald Churchyard . A book on the Scotts who founded the Tweed Industry  in Dumfries gives the above as parents of Robert Scott the founder but does not refer to the Buccleuch connection