Author Topic: william oxlade  (Read 2706 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
william oxlade
« on: Wednesday 22 August 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Old requests for information revised.
William Oxlade, a printer and bookseller, was born in London in 1743 and is recorded as having died in London (actually at St. Botolph) in 1803. 

However, there are two puzzling other records.  It seems that he was committed to the Fleet prison in 1794 and not discharged until 1804.

Can anyone help with an explanation?

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: william oxlade
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
If those "facts" are all true, then the only explanation can be that there are two different people, as he could not have been released from prison a year after he had died!

Have you seen the original documents of all these events?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
I see the burial at St Botolph, of William Oxlad, on 2nd June 1803, a man from Rosemary Lane.

no age at burial, or occupation or any other info given.

Why are you sure this is the same person as the one in prison, and/or the one born 1743 and/or the bookseller?
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
It seems that he was committed to the Fleet prison in 1794 and not discharged until 1804.

Although Ancestry's transcript has him discharged on 3 October 1804, the image does not support that, showing simply 3d Oct. [no year].

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 14:53 BST (UK) »

Although Ancestry's transcript has him discharged on 3 October 1804, the image does not support that, showing simply 3d Oct. [no year].

And it refers to him as William Oxlade the younger - suggesting there is another William Oxlade around in the area at that time .
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
The picture is already becoming clearer.  My thanks to correspondents.

I did say that Oxlade's father was also a William and that he outlived his son.  And there is certainly a gap in his productive years - plenty of publised items from the 1770s and 1780s and then an abrupt cessation - the time when he was imprisoned, coincidentally or not.

What I didn't know was that he had stayed in prison for so long.  It was not unknown for printers to serve a sentence until a debt was repaid and that they then recommenced business.  No sign of that with our William.

If there are other fragments, I'd appreciate your sharing them.  I should say that I do have a fairly extensive picture of his three marriages and births and deaths of children.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
What I didn't know was that he had stayed in prison for so long.

How long do you think he was in prison? Did you see my reply #3 above?

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at this site?
https://www.londonlives.org/formPersName.jsp

There are some interesting snippets for William Oxlade.
It looks as if he went to court as people kept stealing his books!
Don't think it will help with why HE went to prison, but interesting to help fill out his life.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 August 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
In reply - yes: I saw reports of the theft of books from Oxlade (two occasions - same offenders).

As to the length of time that Oxlade spent in prison: I don't know...and this was, amongst other things, one of the points that I had hoped could be clarified in these exchanges.

There is a record of his owing twelve pounds to a William Brown but I have no details.

The following may also help.  Oxlade's son, John, was imprisoned between 1798 and 1800 as a result of his activities as a member of the London Corresponding Society.  John left a detailed account of his imprisonment, describing how his father visited him. It could be, then, that William was 'out'.

In addition, it seems that WO was also involved in radical activities.

One other thought.  Oxlade had as a friend James Lackington, seen as the instigator of new methods of bookselling (details easily found on the web).  It could have been that, during his own apparently fallow period, Oxlade worked with or for Lackington.

roly