Author Topic: william oxlade  (Read 2705 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: william oxlade
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks to correspondents I now have a reasonably accurate picture of the circumstances surrounding William Oxlade's latter years and his death.

There remains that gap between his printing books up to 1780 and then his incarceration.

In addition, his son, John's, activities are elevated.  He was born in 1770 and died in Greenwich in 1850.  He received his articles of clerkship and was given the freedom of the city of London 'by patrimony' (I'm aware that is a scant summary); but quite whether he did practice as an attorney or worked as a bookseller is not yet clear.

It is known, as I wrote before, that he was imprisoned as a member of the London Corresponding Society between 1798 and 1800.    He had married a Sarah Sheldrick in 1794 and there were three children of the marriage.  The family certainly endured tough times  - and, sadly, John Oxlade's wife, Sarah, and two of their children, another Sarah and Eliabeth all died in 1812 when, coincidentally, there was an epidemic of whooping cough...There may well have been a connection.

It could be that this misfortune prompted Oxlade to up sticks and move to Portsea, Hampshire.  There in 1813, he married a Mary Ann Terry and the family lived in Portsea until 1820 when they then moved back to the London area (actually Mitcham).

The period in Portsea coincided with a rise in work prospects during the Napoleonic wars until, after Napoleon's fall, trade fell off rapidly.  As it happens, the family of Brian Blessed, the actor, followed a very similar line of progression to that of John Oxlade - London, Portsmouth, London.

In Portsea, Oxlade worked as a bookseller.  But he also issued broadside ballads and these ballads carry the name 'W. Oxlade'.  It would seem that JO was carrying on his father's business: but JO's own name is nowhere on the ballads.  I can't 'explain' this discrepancy.

Any views?

roly

I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry...One afterthought.

If Johnn Oxlade was imprisoned, would this disbar him from practising as an attorney?  You'd expect that this was so...

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 September 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Pursuant to the life and times of William Oxlade comes enquiry into the fortunes of his son, John (born 1770).

He married a Sarah Sheldrick in 1794 and children were born as follows - George (1795 and dying in the same year); Sarah (1796 and dying in 1812); Ann (1797); Elizabeth (1798).

I had a notion - I really can't remember how this came about - that Elizabeth also died in 1812.  Coincidentally (?) a Sarah Oxlade, wife of John Oxlade, died in 1812, aged 73.

If this Sarah was the wife of John as aforementioned, then her daughters would have been 16 (Sarah) and 14 (Elizabeth).  Is this likely?  I can find no other death notices for Sarah Oxlade.

But it may have been one or other or all of these deaths that precipitated a move for John Oxlade to Portsea where, in 1813, he married a Sarah Ann Terry (I've referred to this event before...).

I've been unable to find any details involving Eliabeth; nor, indeed, of Ann. 

Help would be much appreciated.

roly