Author Topic: william oxlade  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: william oxlade
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
As to the length of time that Oxlade spent in prison: I don't know...and this was, amongst other things, one of the points that I had hoped could be clarified in these exchanges.

Basic place to check is the London Gazette. Three notices were published for him in August 1797, describing him as a Bookbinder in Chiswell Street. He may well have been released at that time.

Also, if you don't already have his apprenticeship and freedom details  (and his father's name), you'll find them in the British Book Trade Index.

Afraid I don't have these links to hand at the moment, but googling will find them easily enough.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 August 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Nothing in BBTI.

I've already come across the Gazette online - it indicates that William Oxlade the Younger of Chiswell Street is in prison - but there's no date on the entry.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 August 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Nothing in BBTI.

British Book Trade Index
http://bbti.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/details/?traderid=51823
Name:    OXLADE, William
County:    London
Town:    London
Address(es):    St Paul's Chyd [= Churchyard]. Chiswell St
Book Trades:    Bookbinder
Non-Book Trade:    Not known
Trading Dates:    1766 (date of freedom) - 1786 (after)
Biographical Dates:    1759 (date of apprenticeship) - 1786 (after)
Notes:    Son of William Oxlade of Sheer La, labourer. Apprenticed to Thomas Knowles

This matches the City Freedom papers (Stationers' Company), on Ancestry.

I've already come across the Gazette online - it indicates that William Oxlade the Younger of Chiswell Street is in prison - but there's no date on the entry.

The 3 notices in the Gazette are dated 22, 26 and 29 August 1797 (consecutive issues 14039, 14040 & 14041).
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/14039/page/822.

It would appear that this is the man who was committed to the Fleet on 11 Nov 1794, as in your original post. The 1794 entry in the Fleet register does refer to him as 'the Younger' (as already flagged up by lizdb).

There is no evidence in the Fleet register for a discharge in 1804 (as given by Ancestry). It seems likely that he was released in 1797, as referenced in The Gazette.

His father, presumably 'the Elder', appears not to have been in the book trade, but a labourer.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
Put it down to poor eyesight and old age - I never found the details of Oxlade's career in BTTI.

I only found one Gazette reference.

So this going leaps and bounds.  Many thanks.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 August 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
There is a PCC will for William Oxlade, yeoman of Dulwich, Surrey, signed on 14 November 1804, proved 23 July 1807.

This William Oxlade was probably the one buried at Dulwich College in 1807, aged 83 (so born c.1724). A note in the margin of the death duty index for 1807 shows he was insolvent. The executor was William Crawford, a bookseller. William Crawford married Mary Oxlade in 1794 at St Luke’s, a parish where William Oxlade the Younger was active (according to the Gazette).

Given the bookselling connection, this William Oxlade of Dulwich may be the father of William Oxlade the Younger, the bookbinder in the Fleet. However, the Younger isn’t mentioned in the will, as far as I can see, so he may have pre-deceased his father, and therefore he may be one buried in 1803 from Rosemary Lane.

You may want to look at the 1807 will. It’s in rather poor condition, and the second page is missing from Ancestry, but it can be seen (just about) via TNA’s free preview image, accessible from Discovery ...
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D314992

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 August 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox.

The sister of William Oxlade the younger - Mary - married William Crawford in 1794.  A daughter, Mary Ann, was born before the marriage took place.  A son, Alexander, was born to the couple - and apprenticed to his uncle John, a bookbinder.

But - something of a clincher to your discoveries (I hope) - William Oxlade the elder, bequeathed his possessions to the young Mary Ann.

What brought about this complicated manouevre is not at all clear: but it could have had something to do with WO the younger's insolvency.

Phew.

roly

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 August 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Or that his son,William the younger, had predeceased him. As suggested in reply #13.

Younger dying 1803 (as per burial) and older dying 1807 Dulwich (as per proving of Will)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 August 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
The sister of William Oxlade the younger - Mary - married William Crawford in 1794.

Are you sure? Have you read the 1807 will?

... I give and bequeath
the same and every part thereof unto my
Grandaughter Mary the Wife of William Crawford
of Peerless Row in the City Road Bookseller

Perhaps Mary Oxlade who married William Crawford in 1794 was William Oxlade the Younger’s daughter (rather than his sister)? Just a suggestion.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 August 18 05:49 BST (UK) »
Bookbox - you're quite right!  My aberration.

roly