Author Topic: Large Bakery Business, Gateshead 1930s/40s/50s ?  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Large Bakery Business, Gateshead 1930s/40s/50s ?
« on: Wednesday 22 August 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
Or maybe even earlier and later but that is the time frame I am more or less sure of.
Has anyone any idea which company it may have been or where I can look to try to find info I'd be grateful for suggestions.

According to the obituary  (published in The Shetland News 17 Nov 1938)
 John Percy Henderson (1873-1938)  as well as being a dentist, parish and county councillor in Shetland, owner of East and West Burra Isle (purchased in 1922) he also:

“had extensive business interests in Gateshead, near Newcastle, where a bakery business, started in a small way by his mother, was rapidly developed by him, his brother and sister, and eventually became one of the largest concerns of its kind in the North of England, employing several hundred hands and between 40 and 50 motor delivery vans. This also was a very prosperous business and Mr Henderson was a managing director of it, which involved him attending meetings at Gateshead at least once a year.”

John Percy Henderson was born in Shetland, left there with his parents sometime between 1873-1876 and they settled in Gateshead
1881 census  (RG11/Piece 5033/Folio 119/Page 20) - Dad listed as a Grocer
1891 census  (RG12/Piece 4176/Folio 5/Page 4) - Dad listed as a Grocer
sometime between 1895 and 1901 John Percy and his parents returned to Shetland
John is recorded as a dentist in Shetland in 1901 and 1911
He lived on Shetland till 1936 then retired to Tynemouth
Died 1938

Siblings of John Percy Henderson who I can link to some sort of bakery/confectionery employment in Gateshead after their parents returned to Shetland:

Jessie Henderson - married William Rutherford  - William is recorded in 1911 as Manager of Bakery, 1939 he is a baker and confectioner

James Andrew Henderson - 1911 census listed as a confectioner (dealer), 1939 he is a bakery manager, 1953 death cert (he died in Gibraltar) says he was a bakery director, he came from Gateshead and had lived in Gibraltar for 5 years.

NB I am only looking for info on the bakery, I already have all the BMD, census etc info for John and his siblings. I really wouldn't want anyone to waste time looking for things I already have.

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Large Bakery Business, Gateshead 1930s/40s/50s ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
You can see a list of Bakers in Kelly's Directory of Durham, 1914 starting at image 609, page 598 in the directory.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mkp/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan. I've got those pages saved, and nothing looking likely in Gateshead, BUT then I paged forward a bit to Confectioners and there is an entry there which is 'possible'.

Henderson John, 140 Askew Road; 272 Askew Road West, & 274 High St., Gateshead

Askew Road and Askew Road West are right for the area of Gateshead I suspect the business would have started off.

I have been firkling and found a freemasons record entry dated 4th June 1912 for James Andrew Henderson (age 34) and Robert Henderson (age 23) Residence: Gateshead Profession: Confectioers

ages and names match with two of John Percy's brothers who remained in Gateshead when their parents and some of their siblings returned to Shetland :-)

The name John Henderson could relate to either John Percy Henderson OR his father John Henderson - who was listed in 1911 on Shetland as a confectioner.

I'll email the local studies dept at Gateshead Library to ask if they have later directories or other info which may reveal further clues.

Thank you!

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I've had a look in Newcastle library this afternoon but didn't really find anything. They are listed in Wards in 1918 so were still around then.

The staff had a good look for me but couldn't find anything either.

I might be able to have another look tomorrow for you, is there something specific you are looking for?

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Michael. It was good of you to look and I really appreciate it.

I am not sure what I am looking for, just a general firkle to see what, if anything, can be found.

I've sent for a copy of the will for  James Andrew Henderson (John Percy's brother who remained in Gateshead when his parents returned to Shetland. I am hoping that will at least mention the name of the business so that I know what I am looking for but this John Henderson , confectioners is looking likely. It will take a week or so for the will to arrive, so I may have a better idea then.
 I've also asked for a copy of John Henderson Senior's confirmation and inventory - Scottish equivalent of English Probate grant and will but with the addition of a list of his assets. Again hoping that he may still have had some sort of interest in the business and that can give clues.

I've never really researched a business as such - can you tell? :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
There is a Ward's directory for 1918, as Shiny1 has posted.  Under Gateshead 'Bakers' there is this entry:

'Henderson & Sons, Ltd.  Oak st. (T.339)

Henderson as a baker at Oak street is also in the 1929 directory.

Under 'Confectioners':

'Henderson, J, 140 Askew Road & 272 Askew Road west,
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you RTL, was good of you to look it up and the extra entry in the Bakers section is new to me.

I'll have to go through the records I have for this family as Oak street seems to ring a bell. Perhaps one of them lived there at some stage. Though I don't yet know for definite what the comapny was called and if any of these entries in the directories are 'my' Hendersons, they are in the possibles box.

Will add this to the limited info I have and hopefully the wills may give further clues - but its going to be a couple of weeks before I get those.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Boo.

I have just noticed in the Ward's directory for 1935 under 'Bakers' in Gateshead - 'Henderson & Sons Ltd' are now listed at Lobley Hill rd. (T. 71339)

In this year there is no confectioner listed under the name of Henderson.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Boo.

I have just noticed in the Ward's directory for 1935 under 'Bakers' in Gateshead - 'Henderson & Sons Ltd' are now listed at Lobley Hill rd. (T. 71339)

In this year there is no confectioner listed under the name of Henderson.

Thanks again, another snippet to file away for if/when I can find out something more concrete, linked to a family member,  for the business name.

Boo