Author Topic: stupid question on 2 x great grandparents  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
stupid question on 2 x great grandparents
« on: Wednesday 22 August 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, so sorry to bother you with what is most likely a stupid question, i just can't figure it out!

So i'm trying to find a dna match, to do that i am cataloguing my 2 & 3 x great grandparents on my mother side only, i presume this would half the 16 for 2x gg & 32 for 3xgg??? Next stupid question all my stuff is on ancestry & they don't have a function that brings up all the  2,3 etc great grand parents, can anyone suggest a print out that i can fill in as i keep loosing people when i try!  ;D
Think i'm muddling myself up more than i'm helping. ! lol
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: stupid question on 2 x great grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
I know it's quite expensive but I >urge you to consider Family tree Maker 2017. It synchs to your Ancestry tree so you have a secure backup of your tree on your own PC. It also has lots of chart printing options built in.

Worth considering?
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
If you go to pedigree view and start with yourself, Ancestry shows you all 16 of your 2G grandparents.

If you start with your mother, it will give you all 16 of your maternal 3G grandparents, etc.

Either write the names down or perhaps take a screenshot.

Roots Magic also syncs with Ancestry, diplodocus, even with the free version, so also worth considering. Saves all images so that you can view them even if you let your Ancestry subscription lapse, which I presume Family Tree Maker 2017 does as well.
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Roots Magic also syncs with Ancestry, diplodocus, even with the free version, so also worth considering.
Good to know- thank you.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 01:57 BST (UK) »

Roots Magic also syncs with Ancestry, diplodocus, even with the free version, so also worth considering. Saves all images so that you can view them even if you let your Ancestry subscription lapse, which I presume Family Tree Maker 2017 does as well.

Correction

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3018

"If you have an account with Ancestry, RootsMagic Essentials includes the ability to upload your file to Ancestry or download your existing online trees from Ancestry.  If you are a subscriber to Ancestry, RootsMagic Essentials also allows you to search and view all of the content in your subscription.  Those wishing to compare and transfer individual records between RootsMagic and Ancestry will want to use the full-featured RootsMagic software."

As my preferred family tree programme is Legacy, I just use Roots Magic Essentials for downloading every week or so, which means all attached records will be viewable if subscription to Ancestry lapses.  Free version doesn't actually sync, full version does.

I keep the last two downloads, delete previous ones to avoid clogging up my computer.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
If you go to pedigree view and start with yourself, Ancestry shows you all 16 of your 2G grandparents.

If you start with your mother, it will give you all 16 of your maternal 3G grandparents, etc.

Either write the names down or perhaps take a screenshot.

Thank you, i didn't know this.... i shall have a look now.
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 18 07:59 BST (UK) »
I can't help with your query, Allders.  Though others have.

i just want to say in the strongest terms :-) that no question is a stupid question is the person asking it does not know the answer!

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 August 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
'As my preferred family tree programme is Legacy, I just use Roots Magic Essentials for downloading every week or so, which means all attached records will be viewable if subscription to Ancestry lapses. '

Just checking Margaret - do you mean just data records eg. census or do you mean all media i.e. photos too?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 August 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
'As my preferred family tree programme is Legacy, I just use Roots Magic Essentials for downloading every week or so, which means all attached records will be viewable if subscription to Ancestry lapses. '

Just checking Margaret - do you mean just data records eg. census or do you mean all media i.e. photos too?

Pheno

Any information you enter to Ancestry is attached to the same person in Roots Magic. That is any weblinks, any media, any sources, any records, any photos shared from another tree.

As I already save direct ancestors records individually to my computer, they take up quite a bit of space. Downloading these again, plus any records I have already attached at Ancestry to non direct descendants, means you need quite a bit of room on your hard drive, but modern computers cope quite well.

Recently for some unknown reason all of my Ancestry attached photos and files disappeared overnight - Google search finds this to be a common problem. Roots Magic to the rescue, as long as I remember not to delete it, a version of all the media has been saved.

I won't bother putting them all back at Ancestry, would take too long, but at least I have those photos perhaps saved from other trees (my own photos I obviously have copies of).

I presume Family Tree Maker 2017 works in the same way.

Regards Margaret