Author Topic: Isabella Liddel Muirhead  (Read 4280 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Liddel Muirhead
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 01:39 BST (UK) »
Isabella Liddel McFeat born 1842 Shettleston, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Married 1864 to James Muirhead in Shettleston. Isabella died May 10, 1929 Craigs House, Upper Craigs, Stirling, age 87. Widow of James Muirhead, storekeeper. Informant was James Muirhead, son, of 2 Royal Gardens, Stirling.
Trying to find more information on James Muirhead the son.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Liddel Muirhead
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
What info. are you looking for exactly?

When/where was son James born?

Was he an only child or can you give us what info. you have to avoid look-ups on info. you already know?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 18 02:32 BST (UK) »
Isabella died May 10, 1929 Craigs House, Upper Craigs, Stirling, age 87. Widow of James Muirhead, storekeeper. Informant was James Muirhead, son, of 2 Royal Gardens, Stirling.

Does Isabella's DC not give her 'usual address'?

In 1914 - 1925 she was the tenant as Mrs rather than Widow (although I'm unsure if tenants had to give their status) of 2 Royal Gardens i.e. it looks as though son James was living with his widowed mother prior to her death?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Annie this looks like the birth for James Muirhead
9/3/1865 Shettleson Lanark
Father James Muirhead
Mother Isabella Liddle Macfeet

I would say this is the family on the 1881 census address 147,Allison Street Gorbals Glasgow
Isabella Muirhead age 38 born Glasgow ...Head ...occupation shop keeper
James Muirhead age 16 born Glasgow occupation clerk
Annie J Muirhead age 16 born Australia shop assistant
Walter Muirhead age 12 born Australia ..scholar

1891 Census Isabella Muirhead is with her daughterAnnie J Neil  and son in law Robert B Neil
Dennistoun

1901 census she is still with the family are at 637 Alexandra Parade Springburn

A probate record 12 March 1941 Llandudno
Robert Brown Neil of Darnley House Victoria Stirling died 13 December 1940
Confirmation of James Muirhead ,Alexander Turnbull carpet manufactor and John Watts retired millar
So James is still around then

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Birth for Annie Jane Muirhead 30 January 1867 Mount Gambier South Australia
Father James Muirhead
Mother Isabella Macfeat

Walter Muirhead 4 November 1868 Mount Gambier South Australia
Father James Muirhead
Mother Isabella Macfeat

I would say this is the death of the father of these children
James Muirhead age 31
10 December 1870 Mount Gambier South Australia

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Isabella died May 10, 1929 Craigs House, Upper Craigs, Stirling, age 87. Widow of James Muirhead, storekeeper. Informant was James Muirhead, son, of 2 Royal Gardens, Stirling.

In 1914 - 1925 she was the tenant as Mrs rather than Widow (although I'm unsure if tenants had to give their status) of 2 Royal Gardens i.e. it looks as though son James was living with his widowed mother prior to her death?

Annie

Probate Record for Isabella Muirhead gives same address for her and her son James Muirhead her next of kin as 2,Royal Gardens Stirling

Rosie

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 01:31 BST (UK) »
All these bits of information you found are new to me. I have the DC from SP and that's all. And yes, Isabella's usual address on the DC was 2 Royal Gardens, Stirling. I came to this point going backwards 5 generations on my tree and picking a sibling of my ancestor and following "down". I know Isabella's Mother's ancestry quite well but didn't know of James Muirhead until recently. So if he was still alive in 1941 then he may have married and had children. It's a long shot but that's whom I'm hoping to find.

As for the Australian connection- Isabella's Uncles and Aunt settled in Mt. Gambier, South Australia in the mid 1800's. Surname- Umpherston. Isabella's parents were Walter McFeat and Jean Umpherston of Cambuslang and then Shettleston. So it appears that young Isabella emigrated there with her husband and son and when James Sr. died she probably went back home to Scotland.

Back to my focal point- James Muirhead- I wonder if he married in Stirling or where would he (and his Mother) be buried?  Thanks to you both for the help.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 18 03:17 BST (UK) »
Annie this looks like the birth for James Muirhead
9/3/1865 Shettleson Lanark
Father James Muirhead
Mother Isabella Liddle Macfeet

Thanks Rosie, was waiting to find out what lanarman already had as the YoB helps for finding a death (with age).

A probate record 12 March 1941 Llandudno
Robert Brown Neil of Darnley House Victoria Stirling died 13 December 1940
Confirmation of James Muirhead ,Alexander Turnbull carpet manufactor and John Watts retired millar
So James is still around then

I'm a bit confused as to why no mention of James' former employment status when the occs. of Alexander Turnbull & John Watts are mentioned?

There's a few deaths on scotlandspeople but this one looks a good possible?

This will show whether married/widowed with wife's name & m/s as well as both parents names including mother's m/s if the informant knew all those details.

MUIRHEAD JAMES 78
490/ 507 Stirling

Another possible if the above doesn't fit;

MUIRHEAD JAMES 78
479/ 399 Falkirk

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 18 03:30 BST (UK) »

Probate Record for Isabella Muirhead gives same address for her and her son James Muirhead her next of kin as 2,Royal Gardens Stirling

The VRs go up in stages of around 10 yrs & James was not at 2 Royal Gardens as a Tenant after his mother's death on the following entry (1930), unles he was a lodger of the Tenant which wouldn't show.
From memory, the new Tenant had a connection to the Military (I think)? I would need to check back on that  :-\

Annie