Author Topic: Prince of Orange regiment in St Omer, France  (Read 480 times)

Offline Hukanui76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Prince of Orange regiment in St Omer, France
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 04:44 BST (UK) »
It is stated that in late 1780s the Prince of Orange fled from his home country and set up in St Omer, France.   Does anyone know if there are any records for this time and where they may be found. Jean B De Ridder born in Dunkerque, baillie of Renescure was meant to be a surgeon in this regiment at the time and looking for any evidence.
Thanks
Heather Hayes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Orange regiment in St Omer, France
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Earlier topic with more details- thread is 7 pages long so I didn't read it all!
Jean Bartholomeu de Ridder born in Dunkirk 1742 became Bailly of Renescure, ?died helping defend members of the Royal family about 1791.   Records show that he was "puis chirurgien major attache a l'ambulance du Prince d'Orange"?  My cousin is trying to find record confirming the latter post and also if possible details of his death.   One of his sons joined the Napoleonic Navy, and was captured by the British in 1805.   He lived out his life in Bristol, England and in turn one of his grandsons emigrated to New Zealand.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Orange regiment in St Omer, France
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather ,
I see that you are still digging;
Was the trip to Europe of any help ?