Author Topic: What became of MARY JANE PALMER/HAYNES  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What became of MARY JANE PALMER/HAYNES
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane Palmer was born 14th September 1864 in Aldbourne, Wiltshire the illegitimate daughter of Ann Palmer also of Aldbourne. While in Wiltshire Ann gave birth to three other illegitimate children (Thomas, William & Elizabeth Ann).
Some time prior to November 1875 leaving the two boys with her parents in Wiltshire, Ann, Mary Jane and Elizabeth Ann made their way to Derby.
On the 20th November 1875 at the Church of St. James, Litchurch Ann Palmer married Edwin Haynes (my Great grandfather).
At the time of the 1881 census Edwin, Ann, Mary Jane, Elizabeth Ann and Charles Edward (my grandfather) were residing at 78 Stanhope Street, New Normanton, Derby.
Both Mary Jane and Elizabeth Ann had taken the name Haynes.
After 1881 have been unable to find any trace of Mary Jane under either Haynes or Palmer. Did find a marriage for a Mary Jane Haynes and John Henry Houghton in September 1881 in Wirksworth but this was not my Mary Jane.

Would be more than grateful if anyone can provide any information on Mary Jane.

Thanks
Ryhopelad
HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What became of MARY JANE PALMER/HAYNES
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
Did find a marriage for a Mary Jane Haynes and John Henry Houghton in September 1881 in Wirksworth but this was not my Mary Jane.

What ruled that one out if you don't mind my asking? 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 18 22:52 BST (UK) »
After 1881 have been unable to find any trace of Mary Jane under either Haynes or Palmer

What about Edwin?  Have you found him in later censuses?

Charles E was b Purton Wiltshire 1879 and his birth is registered as Haines - where is he in 1891?

See my later reply
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
1891 family is in Derby but no Mary Jane

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Did find a marriage for a Mary Jane Haynes and John Henry Houghton in September 1881 in Wirksworth but this was not my Mary Jane.

Neither the 1891 or 1901 entries show a birthplace for Mary Jane.  The only variation is she is shown as born 1862 on both entries

The 1911 shows Boddington Warwickshire but I think Boddington is either Northants or Gloucs

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 06:09 BST (UK) »
The 1881 Wirksworth marriage is online on Anc and Mary's father is listed as George Haynes - blacksmith   I think this might well be Mary's father with  father George a blacksmith in 1861 living in Upper Boddington Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7LJ-R9J      I can't see the family in 1871  but there is a baptism of a Mary Jane Haynes on 28 June 1863 Upper Boddington with parents George (a blacksmith) and Elizabeth

On the 1861 census there is an older child with the surname Norton, FreeBMD has possible marriage of a George Haynes to an Elizabeth Norton and the GRO birth index has a birth of a MARY  JANE  HAYNES mmn NORTON  GRO Ref: 1863  March Qrtr BANBURY  Vol 03A  Page 659   

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies, have spent some time researching and considering the Mary Jane Haynes who married John Henry Houghton. After researching this Mary Jane I came to the same results as Kay99 and disregarded Mary Jane for those reasons.
The 1881 census gives the wrong birthplace for my grandfather Charles Edward he was born at 24 Upper Dale Road, New Normanton, Derby on the 31st December 1879, it also states Ann came from Naseby, Northampton but this is also incorrect.
Apart from Mary Jane the family are all still together on the censuses after 1881.

Once again thanks

Ryhopelad
HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND