Author Topic: COCK family in Oswaldtwistle  (Read 1180 times)

Offline towthorpe32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family mainly Lancs/Lakes, Yorks/Lincs
    • View Profile
COCK family in Oswaldtwistle
« on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm tracing 10 siblings of the COCK family including my Grandad. This is mainly around the Fylde Coast but one brother Henry Cock was a resident of Oswaldtwistle when he died in 1934.

I've applied for a copy of his Death Certificate, and see that he ran a Fish & Chip Restaurant at 5 Catlow Hall Street. His wife Annie Cock (née Balmer) registered his death.

Any help with the following:

(1) I'm looking for their grave(s) or any other record of their burial.

(2) Were there any children from this marriage?

(3) Are there any old photos of the Fish & Chip shop from the 1930's?

Many thanks

Martin

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: COCK family in Oswaldtwistle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
Per www.freebmd.org.uk - Henry & Annie married 1919 in Fylde

No children showing using freebmd

Henry was 56 when he died so was about 41 when he married - was he previously married?

Was Annie previously married - if so - there is no point looking for children with a mmn of Balmer as that was probably her previous married name and not her birth surname

www.lancashirebmd.org.uk shows the marriage was at St Pauls Fleetwood

Was Henry born in Beetham Westmorland - son of Robert & Agnes?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
Did Henry die in Oswaldtwistle?
Did he live over the shop? There were 2 churches in Catlow Hall St. St. Paul (C. of E.) and St. Mary (R.C.)
Do you know what religious denomination he was?

Edit. Neither St. Paul's or St. Mary's had graveyards.
Cowban

Online crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Henry was single in 1911 if he is the one born Beetham.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 01:07 BST (UK) »
Churches in Oswaldtwistle and some nearby which had graveyards accepting burials in 1930s:

Church of England:
Immanuel (Oswaldtwistle);  Burials registers 1837-1931 and Monumental Inscriptions 1840-1993 at Lancashire Archives. Burial register on LAN OPC goes up to 1900.
St. James, Church Kirk; (Church is the place, as in Church & Oswaldtwistle); Burials registers 1813-1948 and M.I.s 1716-1953 are at Lancs. Archives.
St. Peter; Lancs. Archives have some marriage registers but no mention of burial registers on GENUKI.

Non-Conformist:
New Lane Particular Baptist; M.I.s 1778-1990 at Lancs. Archives.
Rhyddings  (formerly Mount Pleasant and Hippings ) Methodist, Union Road (Oswaldtwistle) Primitive Methodist and Machpelan Baptist (Accrington) all had graveyards.

There were probably more churches in Accrington with operational graveyards at the time. See GENUKI for a longer list.
He may have been buried in a cemetery or taken elsewhere.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
There's no indication that Annie Balmer had a previous marriage. Marriage to Henry Cock is on Lancashire BMD.  Index on  Lancs. BMD doesn't show an another surname for her or have an asterisk to indicate alternative information.

I don't see any birth registrations for Cock with Balmer maiden name on Lancs. BMD but not all births have mother's maiden name on index. GRO online births index stops at 1917.

Have you identified Annie Balmer on 1901/ 1911 census so you can calculate her age at marriage?
Cowban

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Whilst many entries on LancsBMD are asterisked etc - not every second marriage listed on Lancs BMD shows previous surname so you cannot use that to determine a previous marriage

As an example - Have a look at the 1888 entry for Esther Toft and William Catherwood.  This was a second marriage for Esther who was previously Carlin but LancsBMD does not show any asterisk or previous surname.    She married William Toft in 1879 (my own FH)
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline towthorpe32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family mainly Lancs/Lakes, Yorks/Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all - really appreciate the responses.

Yes Henry was born in Beetham (now in South Lakes, Cumbria) and Robert Cock and Agnes (née Birket were his parents. He was single at the 1911 census and married in 1919 in Fleetwood where his parents had Rossall Grange Farm. The family were Anglican as far as I know.

Good point about Annie maybe being married previously. Yes I think they lived over the shop.

He died in Blackburn RI and I've checked with Hyndburn and they have no record of his burial in corporation cemeteries.

Good point about checking Annie in 1911 census - will check!

Sounds like I need to get to Lancashire Archives!

Best regards

Martin

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
A copy of the 1919 marriage cert will show whether Annie was a spinster or a widow.  If a widow - it will show her fathers name so you will then have her birth name.

It should also show her age

There are 3 Cock births in the Fylde RD 1920,1922 and 1926 with mothers maiden name Bracley or Bratley.  I can’t find a marriage to match that maiden name which was why I wondered if Annie was previously married.  I can’t find a Bratley/Balmer marriage either