Author Topic: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??  (Read 7239 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Errington b. abt 1555 Hurst Castle, NBL??
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 August 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hello again Bushinn1746! I had a similar thought regarding York - his place of execution.  Also, in addition to any of his lands being seized, perhaps there will be a record of the person who claimed his body???? Thanks so much for your continuing input.... Sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 August 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

Narrowing down the documents, you think might be most useful (but no guarantee though).

To me ordering digital copies was cheaper than using a Researcher. If the Researcher had to read all five leaves, note down relationships, names and generally what the case was about, the £50 images cost wouldn't pay for 1 hour now at some Archives, some charge £30 per half hour.

Some Cemeteries have been cleared of headstones anyway and my 4 X Gt Grandfather and family graves are under a Car Park!

Errington's body may have been left hanging to rot away to frighten others, England was pretty awful back then if you were on the wrong side and singled out for persecution or execution.

Mark

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 August 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again. Thanks for the research fees! I am in "over my head" but I did find a list on line of "proprietors in 1663 in Tindale Ward - Hexham which apparently includes Bingfield which was mentioned as a residence of this George Errington at some point. In 1663, there are three Erringtons in that Ward" William Errington ESQ, Mr. Richard Errington AND a Mr. Thomas Errington of Bingfield. That implies that the Errington family was able to keep ownership of Bingfield OR, at the very least, they were able to regain ownership within some 60 odd years of George's execution.....Your thoughts on this snippet of information????  (I know I am "grasping at straws" so to speak..).   patrexjax
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 August 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

If George Errington, Roman Catholic martyr, is a direct ancestor, he is the obvious place to start.

If he has been made a martyr more recently (even as late as the last Century), it is likely someone like a Catholic Archives or the Catholic Record Society (C.R.S.) will have researched him, put a history together (perhaps a file and printed history) and it is usual that document references will be given. You could try the C.R.S.?

This link I gave the other day seems to be a 1956 article which mentions George Errington (apparently with some document references, or original document references).
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-catholic-history/article/the-venerable-george-errington/1814EDAA0060B93FEBA8D622EC4DF941

If he were my relative, I would want to see anything published about him, what the C.R.S. has published or know, even a mention of a person in a publication can reveal documents and/or where held.

It might be, that someone has done some of the 'donkeywork' already publishing article/s, citing document references for their article/s. Looking at those original sources cited might reveal if an author quoted in full, or only a small part of the document.

Sometimes what an author felt insignificant and omitted, might be of interest or helpful to the Local or Family Historian.

Mark

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 August 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again Bushinn1746! So far, my direct line is to the Erringtons of West Denton and Ponteland. Some of the surnames mentioned in connection with Hirst/Hurst Castle as well as Bingfield do have surnames that are also related to those Erringtons.  It had seemed like it was going to be an easy link!  :'(  I have some errands to run, but I will take a look at the 1956 article which you have so kindly linked for me. Again, I want to thank you profusely for your advice and help! Sincerely, patrexjax

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again Bushinn1746! So far, my direct line is to the Erringtons of West Denton and Ponteland.

Hello

Errington of West Denton (searched 1400 to 1700), all seem to be 17th Cent.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=errington%20west%20denton&_ep=West%20Denton&_dss=range&_sd=1400&_ed=1700&_ro=any&_st=adv

There is a 1655 Prerogative Court of Canterbury Will amongst the returns.

Errington of Ponteland [Cousin relation Delaval claimed to be mentioned? 1609]
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=errington%20ponteland&_ep=Ponteland&_dss=range&_sd=1400&_ed=1700&_ro=any&_st=adv

Mark

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 August 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello again! I happen to have fiche copies of the Ponteland/Pont de Island parish registers going back to the beginning in 1602. Surprisingly, for me, the very first entry which survived on a tattered page,  is the following entry:" March 27, 1602: Isabella Errington, filias of Marci Errington ARMIGER of Pont Island."  (My emphasis added....    That was the first clue I ever found about this particular family being possible gentry.....Also, I could be wrong, but I believe that this Ponteland branch/West Denton branch may have also been in the Walsington area of Northumberland.  Also, whil spewing out trivia....some of the records say earlier Erringtons were from "Denton" as opposed to, say, West Denton??? Also,, a comment about footnote #29 on the Cambridge link.... Lancelot Errington who claims to have known George Errington only slightly....I am sure he would have said this as he probably knew the investigators were looking for additional persons to prosecute.....  Anyway, sorry for throwing "more grist for the mill" into the mix......And, a question: do you think the person who made the parish entry indicating that Mark Errington was an armiger required some sort of "proof"???  Please forgive my ignorance on these matters and thanks!  Sincrerely, patrexjax

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi patrexjax

Having seen your emails and replies re the Erringtons and that your family names include Widdrington I thought I'd join in discussion and see if there is a link to my Errington & Wddringtons. The period of interest to me is 1400-1700; to date I have the surnames joining twice once late 1500s & the other approx 100yrs later (may/may not be same branch).

The earliest Errington is Gilbert c1420 & Widdrington is William marrying Catherine Errington late 1600s - I do have names of earlier Wiidringtons but have not checked them all yet.

By the by I note that you have Ponteland parish registers - are there any Errington or Wiiddringtons apart from Mark & Isabella from 1600-1700?

Regards
Judith

Burrell                         Mitchell            
Armstrong                    Adamson
Holmes                        Anderson
Fleming                        Rudd                  Boustead                      Picken
Huddleston                   Gathin Peele                            Foxall
Whinfield                      Lumley
Lindsley                       Shakelock

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello iudith54 and thank you for your email expressing interest in my/our Errington and Widdrington families. I haven't looked at these lines in quite some time, but i have several "twigs" that I have not been able to link with certainty to some others in my tree One of the first is an elusive John Widdrington ESQ b abt 1510? in Hauxley, NBL who died abt 1575. He married Lucy Errington ho was born in Little Whittington, NBL. I have no information on their marriage and only know they had at least one child, Elizabeth Widdrington born abt 1573 who married Lancelot Horsely (1568 Brinkheugh died 1609. I have the Horsely line descendants but do not know anything of John and Lucy's parents. Insofaras my direct line, I do have an Errington/Widdrington marriage: John Errington (c.16561698) s of Major Gilbert Errington and Jane Reed, married abt 1678 to Dorothy Widdrington (c. 1659-1724) d of Edward Widdrington and Dorothy Horsley. This particular Errington family resided in Ponteland and I have exact christening dates for their eight children and many others from these families when they were in Ponteland.It would appear that this branch of the Widdringtons were living in Widdrington as early as about 1100 and I suspect John Widdrington may have married into the Bartram family as he named a son Bartram Widdrington! I hope I have answered some of your questions and, yes, be assured, there are additional Errington and Widdrington children born in Ponteland in your specified time frame. If you wish, I can try to send you some key family groupings to help you. Also, if there is a specific person with an approximate date in Ponteland you would like researched, please do not hesitate to ask.  Sincerely, patrexjax.