Author Topic: Herbert Russell Midlane Coombe  (Read 3628 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Russell Midlane Coombe
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 August 18 05:53 BST (UK) »
Deleted - posted twice :-[
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BlueFire2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 August 18 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi. No I don't, as I was doing some research for a distant relative. I contacted her about another branch of my tree. I've always been able to find a reasonable amount of info, without buying certificates, but her tree is difficult, in more than one branch. I havent been able to assist in any part of her fathers tree. I always like to have some sort of solid link connecting one person to the next. Missing death info. Ages not matching up. Name changes. ???

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 August 18 07:37 BST (UK) »
Around the times Frances Agnes Coombe was born, they were at Mt Gipps Station 1868. Seems like they spent a fair amount of time on Stations around Broken Hill.

I wonder if there's entries recorded in the Kidman papers ...  mention of Mt Gipps Station is 'ringing' bells from my Findlay files for that era...  These are currently with a family member, who is comparing them with their own research.   I will actually be visiting them over the October long weekend,  fingers crossed I may have something to share.  I am not sure, but I think the station manager was surnamed FINDLAY ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hmmm - this may be a bridge too far - or a leap too far - certainly a long shot, but seems to me a possibility.  I'd be delighted if someone can rule this idea out.

Searching on TROVE for the name MIDLANE I came across the death of a Russell MIDLANE, aged 90, in December 1928 (Russell Midlane COOMBE b 1840, so reasonably close); husband of Margaret, father of Florence (Mrs. Sparkes), Bertha (Sister Mary Elizabeth), Ruby (Mrs. Sibley), and Ella.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16518045
Death registered Sydney 17062/1928 Russell MIDLANE.  No parents shown on index.

On looking further I see the marriage of this couple:
3106/1917 Russell MIDLANE, Margaret MOORE, registered at West Wyalong.

I have found possible births of some of the daughters which are a good while before the marriage so it's possible that either or both Russell and Margaret may not have been free to marry earlier, especially given that the family seems to be Roman Catholic.  I cannot see any of the daughters' births registered under the name MIDLANE.

Possible birth: MOORE  Ruby Lillian 9340/1898 MargaretSydney
Marriages:
6553/1908 James M SPARKES, Florance M MIDLANE, registered WYALONG
7913/1919 Ernest SIBLEY, Bena R MIDLANE, registered REDFERN (comment: Bena, near Wyalong is the name of the place where Russell and Margaret lived)

Deaths -  all these have Russell and Margaret listed parents
Florence May SPARKES,4603/1972
Bertha Cathleen MIDLANE, 27807/1950, registered BATHURST
Obit for Bertha as Mother M Elizabeth MIDLANE, aged 64 says she was born at Wilcannia, (thus a birthdate of about 1886)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/161407419
Ella MIDLANE, 11811/1963, reg BATHURST
Bena Ruberta SIBLEY, 21329/1970 reg NEWTOWN

So the death registrations for the daughters recognise Russell and Margaret as their parents and the marriages for Ruby/Bena and for Florence https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/213351322 use the surname MIDLANE.

Now, I may well have missed others, but the earliest references I can see for any Russell MIDLANE are:
Government Gazette mentions
1890 Russell MIDLANE, Cobar
1892 at Condobolin
1896 at Livingstone, Condobolin
1898 contract awarded for mail delivery for Bena and Wamboyne, residence Bena

There are some TROVE mentions of the MIDLANE family at Bena - mostly social snippets.

Could this Russell MIDLANE be Herbert Russell Midlane COMBE?  I'm not seeing mention of Herbert COMBE after the birth of his children although death reg indexes for Charles and Thomas list the father as Herbert R M
Charles COMBE 1865 - 1932, Thomas 1866 1942, Frances in 1868.

can anyone help with this?

Sorry it's a bit long-winded but thought I should present all the "evidence"  ::)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1902 CANOBOLAS, polling Bena.

Margaret MIDLANE, of Bena, Post Mistress
Russell MIDLANE, of Bena, Selector

NONE surnamed COOMBE or variations.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
Russell's death https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16518045  SMH 20 Dec 1928
Margaret's death  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16518945 SMH 24 Dec 1928

JM

Offline BlueFire2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
Well if he has done the old switcheroo, youd have to leave it to DNA, to be sure. There are loads of people with the same name though. Interesting theory. ;D

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
Very few with the name Russell MIDLANE.  It would be interesting to see the marriage certificate for Russell and Margaret - if he told the truth - should have info about his father, and any previous marriages or children.

There are some other MIDLANEs in the Wyalong area but they seem to be descended from some Isle of Wight MIDLANEs where the name is quite common.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BlueFire2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 August 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi. I meant there are loads of people with the same name generally. I havent done any research on the Midlane name. He is a person that doesnt mind changing his name though. ;D