Author Topic: Court Martial 81st Regiment  (Read 432 times)

Offline harfielc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court Martial 81st Regiment
« on: Friday 24 August 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you know if I can get more details of the court martial than this soldiers army record show?

William Kell
Number: 81
Regiment: 81st
20/5/1833 court martial date.

Here is a weblink to the army record:

https://www.fold3.com/image/585271853

Here is the deciphered handwriting of the section:
…..that his DISCHARGE is proposed in consequence of cough and pains in the chest and rheumatic pains in his limb, contracted in and by the service and the  BOARD APPROVES  of the opinion of the surgeon as shown by the medical report  HEREWITH ANNEXED

Then it goes on…

No 81 Drum-Major Willian Kell was tried by Regt Court Martial 20th May 1833
for being drunk ON THE LINE OF MARCH  and reduced from Drum major.  That since this time his conduct has been very good and that he was in possession of three good conduct RINGS PREVIOUS TO HIS BEING and his being again promoted to Drum major.

Just curious to see if there is more detail recorded somewhere.

Many Thanks in advance for your attention.

C

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline harfielc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Court Martial 81st Regiment
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham.  Id found that link too.  Thing is I just have a mental block with national archive site. 

I have subscriptions to ancestry, Find my past, Folio etc. I've looked but can't find anything there. 

I am a novice though so could be looking in the wrong place!

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Putting your post together with the research guide, he was tried by a RCM so no record would have been sent up the chain of command, so nothing in the National Archives.
The only hope is to see if the record was kept by the Regt, and then ended up in the relevant museum.
The 81st merged in 1881 to become the Loyal North Lancs, now part of the Duke of Lancaster Regt. This in turn takes you to http://www.lancashireinfantrymuseum.org.uk/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline harfielc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Fab - thanks.  I'll follow-up on that.

C