Author Topic: Ipswich St Clement Marriage Register 1789  (Read 1828 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Ipswich St Clement Marriage Register 1789
« on: Friday 24 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone was visiting one of the Suffolk Archives whether they could have look for me at the parish register lists to see if there is more than one marriage register for Ipswich St Clement for 1789 and/or the register itself which is probably on microfilm rather than fiche.

I have a microfilm printout I made at Bury RO some years back of the marriage of Samuel Philips Fennings and Sarah Orford/Offord from 11 Aug 1789 but its not in the Hardwick Act format that you would expect for the period, but simply a list of the names, date and parish of residence.  At the time for some reason I didn't look for a second register rather than the one I'd viewed so don't know if the Hardwick Act format register is missing or not but as its 35 years after the Act came into force you would have expected a register of that time to exist.

While I obviously have the marriage details, I am hoping witness names would help confirm Sarah's identity.  There are a lot of Orford/Offords in the area and while I have an good probable candidate for her I'm not entirely convinced its the same person.  I don't need any other information on the family after the marriage nor on the groom's family as have extensive research on them from the last 20 years and also a lot on the Orfords/Offords in Ipswich.  Just interested in any witness names to compare against research on a possible family relationship.

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful as am unable to get to any of the Archives for the foreseeable future and their research/copy rates have gone up a lot in recent years unfortunately. :-\

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ipswich St Clement Marriage Register 1789
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Taken from fiche copy of Ipswich St Clement register

Samuel Phillips Fennings of the parish of ______________ in the county of ___________widower and Sarah Orford of this parish singlewoman were married in this church by licence
Eleventh day of August 1789
Both signed their names
In the presence of Joseph Cole and __________

As you can see I had trouble deciphering some crucial info!  I'll send you a PM.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anne, I've replied to your PM.  Samuel was from Harwich although he married in Suffolk for two of his three marriages (the third being in London).
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Nocola & Annes,

I hope I'm not  upsetting anyone but this marriage is listed on the Ipswich Deanery Marriages CD
as follows (ex SFHS);

11-8-1789 Samuel Philips Jennings, wdr of Harwich ESS to Sarah Orford in Ipswich St.Clements church.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan but Suffolk FHS are wrong the surname is Fennings.  As almost all of their children had Orford as a middle name, its definitely the correct marriage and Samuel was baptised in Harwich (Phillips was an earlier family name that ran through for generations).  Common mistake, often find them under that in indexed records as the flowery F and J get misread.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:04 BST (UK) »

Quite agree - I find also the old way of writing a double "s" is often mistaken for an "F" followed be an "s"

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 18 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nicola

If you are still wondering about the signature of the second witness at the FENNINGS-ORFORD wedding in 1789, I believe it is likely to be T. PLANTEN, with the P superimposed on the initial T. There were several members of the PLANTEN family in Ipswich St Clement,
including at least two named Thomas. One of them was buried there in January 1803 aged 58 (b. c.1744) and another in July 1812 aged 38 (b. c.1774).

Thomas PLANTEN Junr married Sarah Paskell BAKER at the same church in January 1798. The SRO's description of his marriage licence bond identifies him as Thomas PLANTER junior, a wheelwright, but he signed his name as Thomas PLANTEN in the parish register. The witnesses were Henrietta CASS, Elizabeth SMITH, Isabella BAKER, Hannah BAKER, Thos SMITH and John PLATTEN, all of whom also signed.

Sarah Paskell PLANTIN (c.1774-1839) was a widow in August 1814 when she married William Richman (or Rickman?) COPE (c.1782-1828). Her third husband was William CHRISTIE (m. 1836).

David

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David, I can't so far see any link with the Planten family but its always possible.  Just a shame that none of the witnesses so far tie in to any Orford family as far as I can see.  I have a possible candidate for Sarah but can't find any evidence to confirm it. :-\