Author Topic: My Dell P.C. on switching stays on the Dell intro picture.  (Read 1879 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My Dell P.C. on switching stays on the Dell intro picture.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 August 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
Perform a Hard Reset

Disconnect the power adapter and turn over the laptop. Locate the battery reset hole at the bottom of your laptop. Use a slender object such as a pin or small, straightened paperclip to prod inside the battery reset hole and press the battery reset button.

Remove the pin, reconnect your power adapter and turn on your laptop to resume normal use.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-laptop-battery

Not sure this is a laptop is it? "My Dell P.C. is not going into program mode /stays on the intro picture?

Should still have the reset pinholes! 
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 August 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
I must have misunderstood the original problem  :-\

"My Dell P.C. is not going into program mode /stays on the intro picture ..."  didn't sound like a battery problem to me . . .

In any case I still wouldn't recommend poking bare wires into any mains powered device, or indeed into any computer unless you are really sure you know what you are doing  :o :o :o
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Which I why I suggested the pinhole on top......which is there for a purpose.

the poster has been trying to remove static so I asked of they had used pinhole with battery icon beside it.

I'll leave it to you to make suggestions to resolve it!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
I totally agree, Mike  :)

I had a similar problem with OH's Dell desktop a while back. I went through one of the routines listed in my reply#3. I can't remembered which worked though.

Another link here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=official+dell+tech+support+-+how+to+fix+boot+in+windows+10+-&docid=607996186666795943&mid=16AA1A50801BD616F29016AA1A50801BD616F290&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

No poking about with paper clips!

Added - obviously need to start in Safe Mode
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
the poster has been trying to remove static so I asked of they had used pinhole with battery icon beside it.

Nothing is plugged in and I have tried to remove static by switching it off and removing the sockets and pressing the start button for 15 seconds.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline o doubghaill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
There is no reset button on the P.C. or keyboard. I am running windows Seven as windows ten would not play some of my programs.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Is it the blue Dell logo which appears before it bothers trying to use the hard disk, or the Windows Logo?

If it's the Dell one, you should be able to reach the BIOS by pressing a particular key, often F2, sometimes Esc, otherwise try each Fn key in turn. There are usually keys to do special things like booting from a CD.

Once you are in the menus, you can wander around and see if the hard drive is detected, and if so whether it is in the boot device list. Don't worry; you will be prompted when exiting the BIOS setup whether you want to save any changes you might have made accidentally.

If it's the Windows logo, we can normally repair things by pressing various keys as the system is starting.

Please let us know which logo it is.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline o doubghaill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 August 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
The Blue Dell Logo! have tried the above keys, no joy.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
The first thing I'd try is the cables to the disk drive.

You need to open the case (power cable out first!), then look around for the drive. There are two connectors on one edge of it. slide them off and slide them back on. If there is any muck on them, this will shift it.

While you have the lid off, wander round the main board and push any chips which are in sockets with your finger. It's possible that one has worked loose.

The other thing worth "re-seating" is the memory. One or more long strips (called DIMMs) are in sockets on the main board. At each end there is a little plastic lever. Push the lever away from the DIMM and that end of the DIMM will lift. Then push that end of the DIMM back down again - you may need to push hard - until it is firmly back parallel with the system board again. You don't normally need to re-seat both ends of the DIMM, but if you can reach both ends, fine.

Let us know whether it starts OK when you put the power back.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.