Author Topic: FOCAY/FOKAY Susanna... Trying to locate parents  (Read 1526 times)

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FOCAY/FOKAY Susanna... Trying to locate parents
« on: Friday 24 August 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate parents of  Susanna Fokay going back from her marriage.
I have found the following records through Ancestry and the LDS site.
Name:   Susanna Focay Or Fokay
Marriage Date:   19 Aug 1776
Marriage Place:   Saint Olave,Southwark,Surrey,England
Spouse:   James Bishop
The minister wrote Focay on the original but Susanna signed Fokay although the banns records also list her as Focay.
The witnesses had the surname Bishop

The only other instance I have found of the name is a marriage also in 1776 but I have not seen the original.
Name:   Elizabeth Focay
Marriage Date:   21 Sep 1776
Marriage Place:   Saint Matthew,Bethnal Green,London,England
Spouse:   Thomas Collings

Any help appreciated.

Best wishes from Winnipeg

Jim

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FOCAY/FOKAY Susanna... Trying to locate parents
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
I found this interesting will..........not really helpful.......but the similar names are very coincidental...

A will for Thomas Fokey, tallow chandler of London, written in 1761, proved in 1764... Names friends Joseph Carroll and John ???.... Everything to daughter Mary Bishop, wife of James Bishop for her sole use......at her death to be shared amongst her lawful heirs and then their lawful heirs.....if she only has one child, who dies without issue, then the remainder to his nephews Thomas, Daniel and John Fokey......also mentioned is sister Judith Ware....

There is a Judith Foker bapt in Essex in 1735.

I think you need to be creative with surname possibilities and look at Folker, Folkey, Fakey, Facey, etc...

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 18 05:42 BST (UK) »
St Matthews Bethnal Green 21 September 1776
Thomas Collings married Elizabeth Focay both single of the parish, witness William Cole and Susan P?
the ink is smudged.
Wm Cole signed the others made their mark.

This one is more interesting:
Mary Fokay married John Bass at St Dunstan's and All Saints Stepney 22 February 1784 both single.
Witness James Bishop & Joseph Percivall. Witnesses signed bride an groom made their mark.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I don't have any experience with Huguenot research myself, but have you looked into whether Focay/Fokay is a French Huguenot name? It certainly has the sound of a French name and may be an avenue to explore, I am sure there are experts on here who would know if the name was Huguenot or not.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.

The will raised questions for me as one of the friends listed was a Joseph Carroll
Susanna married a Bishop   One of their offspring married a Brooks and their offspring married a Carroll my mothers surname and they all appeared to live in the same part of London at the time of that will although I do not know of a Joseph Carroll I am starting to think that Fokays Bishops and my Carrolls all knew each other for a fairly long period.

The Carrolls at the time of that will were Catholic so perhaps Susanna was baptized in the CAtholic faith and than like the Carrolls married in the Anglican faith.   If she did, the transcript is likely in Latin if it exists at all but that is another possiblity.
I have tried many different varients of the name with no success.  A friend looked at the surname and the "Genealogist" suggested  Focey  in the Warwickshire area although that could also be Fovey or Tovey.  There was also Focy in the Greenwich area.  Foucy and Focey in Devon + Dorset.  Focey  and Focy in Manchester.  Focey in Somerset.  Focey in Kent.  Fookey in Worcestershire.  The grand total was only about 10 or 12 instances up to 1841 and they were mostly in the 1841 census.
---------------------
The marriage of Mary Fokay would appear to be a definite relation.   The James Bishop witness is just to coincidental.    I will attempt to try to find some information on her.  It would appear she is a close relation to Susanna (perhaps sister)
----------------------
I also thought of French and Foquet came to mind right away. I looked on the Huguenot web pages with no luck but it is still on my mind.   

Perhaps Susanna will show up after all.   

Does any one have access to Catholic records around 1750/55 as I and a friend in the Uk found a few of my Carrolls
Name   Joannes Caroll
Gender   Male
Birth Date   06 Jan 1772
Baptism Date   19 Jan 1772
Baptism Place   Lincolns Inn Fields-Rc,Holborn,London,England
Father   Michaelis Caroll
Mother   Margaritae

As I indicated perhaps the Fokays/Focays or derivatives thereof were baptized Catholic at that time and then married in the Anglican Church.

Jim

Offline JulieAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 03:09 GMT (UK) »
My Great-great-great grandparents were John Martin and Elizabeth Carroll, they married in St Mary, Southwark, Newington, Surrey in 1827. John and Elizabeth were both born about 1800, Elizabeth's father was James Carroll who was a private in the army. I estimate her father James Carroll may have been born about 1775. There is an Ann Carroll as a witness at the baptism of John and Elizabeth's son, William. They had 3 children James (my Great-great grandfather) and Maria. Elizabeth's first husband John died and Elizabeth remarried in 1839 to Thomas Young. It appears my 3x great grandparents were Catholic. I also have been struggling to find information on them. I wonder if your Carroll's are related to my Carroll's?