Author Topic: Most wildly inappropriate Ancestry Hint  (Read 5989 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Most wildly inappropriate Ancestry Hint
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 August 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have made some mistakes in the past with my family tree and had to have branches lopped off but a new one has grown out of some of them. We are all human and are bound to make the odd mistake with genealogy from time to time. It is a namesake cousin or someone with the same name who you thought was right, but you then found a will or other record that disputed it.

That is why now I keep them out if I do not have enough evidence to claim them. More and more records are coming online now, and it is handy if you live hundreds of miles from where your ancestors came from.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

guest189040

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
As I'm going to do my Ancestry DNA this week (I've had the kit for a few weeks now), I decided to put my tree on Ancestry, but keep it private.  I keep getting these so called hints.  It's amazing how some are half right, they will have my ancestor being born in the correct place etc. but then dying in a place with the right name, but wrong country, usually USA.  It seems many of these trees are just copied, but as the person doing the copying doesn't actually know anything about the "ancestor" they are quite happy to accept the default American place.

Can I suuest that you save your money and pass on the test.

My Wife and I dd ours a couple of years ago.

The results were totally non conclusive and bore no relationship to our research.

To make matters worst we have recently had an update from Ancestry and the results of both of us have totally changed and they now bear zero correlation to the original results.  They still bear no resemblence to our trees.

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Just had one for a gentleman born in 1706, who Ancestry think may have been baptised in 1806 - I have heard of adult baptism but ………………………………….!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Can I suggest that you save your money and pass on the test.

Too late already bought the kit.  I know my son is linked via Ancestry DNAvwith a couple of women, probably mother and daughter but we can't find out how.  Interestingly they are both linked with me on 23andMe, which my son bought me for Christmas.  At least that means the link isn't on my husband's side.

In the hints I received recently, I found one who had my (deceased) brother on his tree.  So I wrote to ask what connection he had to my brother (and therefore me).  He told me he is linked via my g.grandfather - the origins of whom I can't trace.  Every tree on Ancestry that names him gives his parents as 2 people that I'm convinced are not his parents, so as this man has DNA results on Ancestry I'll be glad to find out if I'm linked to him somehow.  If I am then all the other trees are right and I've solved the mystery, but then if I'm not connected to this man, then all the trees are wrong.  Most of them have very dubious connections to me and just seemed to have plucked the so-called parents out of thin air without any reason for them.

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 August 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
I know my son is linked via Ancestry DNA with a couple of women

:o
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 August 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

me too

Just found a fella born in the late 1400s served in the war 1914  they put his papers up to prove it.. fgs...

Thomas Grooucoke  Leicestershire
  He is in an open tree...          the spellings of that name have made my brain coddled..

xin

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 August 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
I know my son is linked via Ancestry DNA with a couple of women

:o

Ha, ha, not quite what I meant.  One of the women is apparently his 3rd or 4th cousin, the other his 4th or 5th cousin.  On 23andMe the same women are my 2nd and 3rd cousins.  Weird that we can't find the connection though.

guest189040

« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 August 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
In two years I have had two DNA hints that worked out.

At £30 per hint the DNA test has yet to prove really useful for my Wife and I.

Btw, she has one DNA hint but so far we cannot find the actual link.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 August 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
At £30 per hint the DNA test has yet to prove really useful for my Wife and I.

On the other hand, I've bought lots of Birth certs that I found were not my family now, of course, that GRO has mother's maiden name, it's easier to find the right cert.

It will be money well spent, as far as I'm concerned, if I can find out once and for all whether my g.grandfather is the man all the trees on Ancestry think he is.  If he's not, I still have to find him but I think that will be a solid brick wall.